LaunchBox Community Forums

Nvidia Shield Gamestream and two controllers

poisongoomba

43 minutes ago, bikeking8 said:

Here's my setup. My PC is in another room with the wired Xbox 360 controller connected, with the light indicating it is P1. In the other room I have my Shield TV, with two Shield controllers connected to it. 

So, what is the purpose of the wired controller? I'm guessing it just tells Retroarch there is a second controller active?

You just leave it plugged in at all times? Do you have to prompt the wired xbox controller (press the Xbox button) everytime you want to gamestream?

I will have to give it a try. Hopefully other people doing Google searches will find this info helpful. Thanks again!

Edited by poisongoomba

Sorry I didn't specify. Yes, my  guess is that I'm spoofing RA into acknowledging multiple controllers by leaving the 360 wired controller connected to the PC. I will leave it plugged in at all times, since with a wired controller, there is constant power. From what I understand wired controllers will automatically be assigned to P1/2/etc without having to press the Xbox button (depending on the order they are connected to a PC). So even if the PC gets restarted while I'm away, the wired trick here should work for Gamestreaming RA.

Would you recommend starting Gamestream first, and enabling 2 players, and then enabling the wired controller, then the 2nd Shield controller, or is it preferred to have the Xbox controller active before doing anything else? 

Thanks a lot for the walkthrough! This is going to perfect my setup if I can get it working correctly.

Ok, finally got it working. I used my xbox elite controller plugged in, and it is working fine. Problem is now, RA won't display fullscreen via Gamestream. Black screen, with sound playing on source PC. If I go windowed it works fine, but no windowed fullscreen... possibly a Nvidia issue now :(

• 2 months later...
On 8/19/2017 at 7:05 AM, ErAzOr said:

I found a solution without connecting an xbox controller :)

In retroplayer set Input driver to "raw" and Joypad driver to "sdl2".

I'm happy now :)

I finally got around to testing. For me, I couldn't get it to work with your mentioned settings. I still needed my Xbox controller plugged into my PC. Did @bikeking8 have any luck?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi All,

I am having a similar problem. However I do not get this problem with any emulators at all. I do get it with any games I am streaming from my PC with Game Stream or the New Steam App.

The second controller on my Nvidia Shield TV just copies the first controller. I have been trying to play games in Multiplayer like "Dragon Ball FightersZ " and "Cuphead"

Has anyone had this problem?

Kind Regards

Bory, the only emulator i've had problems with when it comes to multiple controllers is Retroarch, and I haven't tried any nightly builds in a while to check since (at the time I last cared) the RA devs refuse to make the needed change (correct me if wrong). 

For your PC problem, you may only have to enable multicontroller while in an Nvidia game stream session:

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3723/~/enable-and-disable-gamestream-multi-controller-support-to-resolve-controller

There's also moonlight streaming which has made leaps and bounds the past year and a half. Good luck, hope I helped a bit. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just downloaded the latest (1.7.1?) and no change with either Gamestream or Moonlight. I've about had it with those devs, giving up hope with it working how all other emulators do, handling multiple controllers at once. Real shame too. We can have netplay but no couchplay? C'mon... 

Edited by bikeking8
  • Like 1

On 6/15/2017 at 3:36 PM, bikeking8 said:

Aaand it works. 360 wired plugged in, it works. Mame, SNES, and NeoGeo cores working 2 player, too. 

I prefer retroarch because single player controller "just works", where a lot of other emulators have issues as well.  Unfortunately it's a deal-breaker for multi-player.

On 2/25/2018 at 12:39 PM, bikeking8 said:

Just downloaded the latest (1.7.1?) and no change with either Gamestream or Moonlight. I've about had it with those devs, giving up hope with it working how all other emulators do, handling multiple controllers at once. Real shame too. We can have netplay but no couchplay? C'mon... 

Yeah, I asked the guys over there about it, around the same time I made this post. Radius claims it is something that cannot be done because the way Retroarch handles virtual inputs etc. etc. etc.... I'm calling BS.

At this point, I have pretty much just given up, and will be building a dedicated emulation box in the near future to connect directly to the TV. Kind of a shame as I was looking for an all-in-one solution. Overall, the input lag from Gamestream is just too high to play retro games comfortably. I am not one of those hyper sensitive input lag people (I don't think), but it can get pretty bad at times.

OK I now have a partial success.

Someone mentioned, that multiplayer via gamestream works, if a controller is physically connected to the host.

As I don't have a third controller, I thought, why not emulating one or more additionaly devices?

For that, I downloaded ScpVBus (virtual driver) and vXboxInterface (to attach virtual controllers).

With that, I can now play cemu in multiplayer over gamestream!!!! :)

And also, both controllers are detected in retroarch menu (I also can configure them seperatley). BUT while in game, only one controller is working. I hope I will find a solution...

If someone wahts to give it a try, here is the link for needed files:

click