LaunchBox Community Forums

Nvidia Shield Gamestream and two controllers

poisongoomba

@duerra, that's odd that dolphin would work and not other cores haha jeez... Is that with a dolphin bar or classic controller setup? 

@ErAzOr, virtual devices, great thinking. I got VirtualHere for dolphin bar/wiimote gamestreaming but never thought of what you mentioned. Let us know if you get any further with multiple controllers working! 

14 minutes ago, ErAzOr said:

Update: Got it working now!!! Don't ask me what I have changed, but it just works :)

Fyi: Found an user friendlier tool for creating virtual xbox devices: Virtual Controller

In my experience, retroarch detects all the controllers and they all "work", just that they all control Player 1.  Alternatively, 1 controller simultaneously controls all player inputs.  So if you press "up", both Player 1 and Player 2 controls respond with an "up" command.

I haven't tried the Virtual Controller software.

Edited by duerra

On 2/27/2018 at 4:29 AM, poisongoomba said:

Yeah, I asked the guys over there about it, around the same time I made this post. Radius claims it is something that cannot be done because the way Retroarch handles virtual inputs etc. etc. etc.... I'm calling BS.

At this point, I have pretty much just given up, and will be building a dedicated emulation box in the near future to connect directly to the TV. Kind of a shame as I was looking for an all-in-one solution. Overall, the input lag from Gamestream is just too high to play retro games comfortably. I am not one of those hyper sensitive input lag people (I don't think), but it can get pretty bad at times.

Are you referencing this post?  https://forums.libretro.com/t/second-nvidia-shield-controller-when-using-retroarch-via-gamestream/8863

From that thread:

As radius stated, I don't think this is something we can fix, as it's related to the way the gamestream filter driver presents controllers to the OS. I don't know how Dolphin handles input but it's probably very different from how we do it, so it's not a good indication of what is or isn't feasible with RetroArch.

10 minutes ago, ErAzOr said:

I know, but I fixed it with the workaround.

I now can use the controllers separately.

Using the Virtual Controller software, or the earlier recommendation to physically plug in a separate controller into the device?  I tried the later without success.

2 hours ago, ErAzOr said:

Update: Got it working now!!! Don't ask me what I have changed, but it just works :)

Fyi: Found an user friendlier tool for creating virtual xbox devices: Virtual Controller

I will have to test it out again. I must mention - I DID have it working at one point a while back, I believe using the plugged in Xbox controller method... But it was temporary (not consistent). I would love to have something to just WORK. I will for sure check out the virtual controller thing, will make things less messy.

2 hours ago, duerra said:

Yep that's me.

• 1 month later...

I'm delighted to say it works now! Multi controller enabled on Gamestream, had to change the controller port for Input P2 but I confirmed both controllers are independent of each other in Retroarch via Gamestream on SMB3 and Guerilla War. I found it a bit vindicating they had in their post that the previous input code "had many obvious limitations" hahah. Well now I'll be changing some default emulator settings tonight, cheers, fellas!

• 3 months later...

Finally got multiple controllers working through GameStream with RetroArch... kinda.  With the latest Shield TV update, the XBox 360 controller has severe Dpad input lag - see this thread:

Unfortunately, now I can't get the analog sticks to work with the 360 controller in order to work around this issue in RetroArch.  The analog sticks work fine in BigBox with this controller (and without the dpad input latency issue).

I call it "latency", but that really isn't the right word.  The linked thread describes the problem perfectly.

Bummer about the latency.. I'll still be checking on this Retroarch/Gamestream thing, but there's also Parsec that just came out which doesn't rely on Gamestream as Moonlight does. No controller-mouse support YET (so NO input available on Shield) , but as for right now I'm being optimistic.