LaunchBox Community Forums

keyboard mappings Shutdown Option?

MerlinArcade

5 minutes ago, FChristopherMeder said:

Do you mean to shut down your PC?

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Yeah not just exit BB but shut down my PC too.

There is a Shutdown and Reboot option just above the Exit in the BB menu but no shortcut that I can link to 1 letter that I can associate with a button on my tankstick.

Right now I only have the button linked to the letter X which takes me out of BB and brings me back to the Windows Desktop but would like a full Shutdown shortcut.

Edited by MerlinArcade

16 minutes ago, FChristopherMeder said:

Sorry, cannot help you. I leave my pc on all the time. 

I leave my PC on too but I am building an arcade cabinet and at the end of the day I want to turn it off using my tankstick .

As I said above I can associate the letter X to 1 button and exit Big Box but then I need to roll the trackball to an icon I created (Shutdown /p) on the desktop but it would be nice to shut everything down from my tankstick with 1 button push.

You already have a Shutdown option in the BB menu so why not associate a letter to it in the Keyboard Mappings?

Edited by MerlinArcade

7 minutes ago, FChristopherMeder said:

...would be to program one of the four program modes on tankstick and program one button to ctrl, one alt, and one delete. Sorry I cant help further.

I've tried linking more than 1 keyboard keys to 1 tankstick button but it didn't work. I could only reprogram the tankstick 1 letter for 1 button. If you found a way to associate 2 or even 3 keys to just 1 button, please let me know because holding ctrl, atl and delete while you press 1 button just doesn't work.

Edited by MerlinArcade

Have an autohotkey script run in the background?

a::

shutdown, 1

^that will shutdown when A keyboard button is pressed.

Joy1::

shutdown, 1

^that will shutdown when joy pad button 1 (which is A on 360 controller) is pressed.

Joy1::

Send {a down}{a up}

Send {b down}{b up}

^that presses keyboard A and B when joypad1 button is pressed.

I will be using a slightly modified version of this:

joy5::
if GetKeyState("joy6")
if GetKeyState("joy7")
if GetKeyState("joy8")
Goto, PowerOff
return

joy6::
if GetKeyState("joy5")
if GetKeyState("joy7")
if GetKeyState("joy8")
Goto, PowerOff
return

joy7::
if GetKeyState("joy6")
if GetKeyState("joy5")
if GetKeyState("joy8")
Goto, PowerOff
return

joy8::
if GetKeyState("joy6")
if GetKeyState("joy7")
if GetKeyState("joy5")
Goto, PowerOff
return

PowerOff:
{
Shutdown, 1
}

^ this will shutdown when RB + LB + Select + Start on 360 controller is pressed. But I plan on having a confirmation screen before actual shutdown. Unless we get shutdown while locked option til then. If you want to use this but need more help let me know, I am just a AHK noob but I'll do what I can. 

EDIT:

a::

Process, Exist, Bigbox.exe
    If ErrorLevel <> 0
         Process, Close, Bigbox.exe

Shutdown, 1

^that will kill bigbox then shutdown when keyboard A is pressed.

Edited by jayjay

8 hours ago, DOS76 said:

I like the idea of using a button combo and having a confirmation message pop up but a 1 button shutdown down sounds like a bad idea to me.

Thanks jayjay but I just forgot about what DOS76 is talking here. Having a button that can shutdown everything if you press on it by mistake while playing a game could be a real pain in the a**. I'll think about it and see if I reconsider.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I'd like this inside of Big Box as well. Big Box was designed to be put into Mame arcade cabinets as well I gather and I added a dedicated button on top to either exit a game or exit Big Box. What I want, is for that button to shut down the PC when not playing a game instead of exiting Big Box. AHK is not an option because it can't detect whether you're in a game or not (not without massive coding anyway) so instead of returning to Big Box it would shut down the PC which is obviously not desirable. 

And to those saying it's "a bad idea": leave that to the people who want it OK? It may be a bad idea for your setup but if you have a dedicated button on top of the arcade no-one is going to press it by accident. On top of this, a single "Are you sure?" confirmation would fix that issue anyway.

• 5 months later...

I think it would be nice if there was a way to gracefully shutdown the PC from within Big Box.  I don't know if that would be a key combo or, a menu item.  This is a conundrum for me.  I went with LaunchBox / BigBox because I wanted a wow factor for the cabinet I'm giving to my kids on Christmas.  BigBox just feels awesome in a way that RetroPie is not.  But having chosen PC over a Raspberry Pi well, there seems to be some consequences related to features on the cabinet itself. Like, I can wire into an RPi to control power and volume.  I think that the PC needs to do it in software, instead.  So, can it be done from the BigBox menu, possibly?  Or, a platform hack?