LaunchBox Community Forums

What am I doing wrong?

Maarv

Hello all,

I am a new user to Launchbox so excuse me if I am being a total utter 'noob' but then again, that's why I am posting this in the 'noob' section.

So my problem: 

I go to launch a game (in this case, Mario Kart: Double Dash for the Gamecube) It loads up Dolphin then the game window opens for a split second then closes again. I can't seem to figure out what has caused this?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks :)

I was having a similar problem, not sure if it is the same for you, but it's worth a shot.  I found that since the GameCube files are zipped, it took too long to unzip, thus making Dolphin close.  If you check the box to extract your ROMS before launching, there will be a delay before it opens, but it at least opens for me.  Your alternative is not to have your GameCube in zip files, have them extracted already.  Also, make sure you are using this parameter in your emulator in launch box "/e".

32 minutes ago, Ted777 said:

I was having a similar problem, not sure if it is the same for you, but it's worth a shot.  I found that since the GameCube files are zipped, it took too long to unzip, thus making Dolphin close.  If you check the box to extract your ROMS before launching, there will be a delay before it opens, but it at least opens for me.  Your alternative is not to have your GameCube in zip files, have them extracted already.  Also, make sure you are using this parameter in your emulator in launch box "/e".

Ah brilliant, good idea.

Sorry to be a pain but would you mind explaining this? I can't seem to find these options.

Thank you.

2 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

I haven't watched Austins video but does it deal with Launchbox and Dolphin ?

What @Ted777said above might be something to look into.

He does a complete setup for Launchbox which i followed pretty much identically except from I don't have as many roms as him :D 

He does touch on Dolphin but nothing worth noting.

Thanks for the help anyway. :) 

In LaunchBox, click on the menu as follows:

-Tools>Manage Emulator

-Click on Dolphin and press the Edit... button.

-In the "Default Command-Line Parameters: type "/e" without the quotes

-Check the box that says "Extract ROM archives before running".  If this doesn't work, I'd just extract your GameCube ISO's and import them back in so you don't have to extract before running.

Hope this helps

3 minutes ago, Ted777 said:

In LaunchBox, click on the menu as follows:

-Tools>Manage Emulator

-Click on Dolphin and press the Edit... button.

-In the "Default Command-Line Parameters: type "/e" without the quotes

-Check the box that says "Extract ROM archives before running".  If this doesn't work, I'd just extract your GameCube ISO's and import them back in so you don't have to extract before running.

Hope this helps

Brilliant!!! Thank you so much for the help. Can't wait to delve into Launchbox and feel the nostalgia :) 

Thanks again :) 

For the best results, I would suggest not archiving disc based games at all. For GameCube games, there are two alternatives, use the built in Dolphin compressor or use a format that I talk about in our compression tutorial (I used this format because I have a hacked Wii that I play GameCube and Wii games on, so I used a more specific console specific compression method.) When you can, which is in every single case, I always stay away from archives.

10 minutes ago, SentaiBrad said:

For the best results, I would suggest not archiving disc based games at all. For GameCube games, there are two alternatives, use the built in Dolphin compressor or use a format that I talk about in our compression tutorial (I used this format because I have a hacked Wii that I play GameCube and Wii games on, so I used a more specific console specific compression method.) When you can, which is in every single case, I always stay away from archives.

Thanks for the reply, I'm watching your video and I'm at the Gamecube part, you said at the beginning you wouldn't recommend these ways as it can damage the rom, so should I download the Gamecube Trimmer or use the built in Dolphin compressor?

2 minutes ago, SentaiBrad said:

The one built in to Dolphin and the one I showed off are safe to perform to the iso files. I only showed off the one I did, because that's what I used for a real Wii / vWii.

Ah right that makes, I understand.

Everything is working now, thank you :)