LaunchBox Community Forums

My new cabinet

Just finished it last night.  It's the cabinet from recroommasters.  Using BigBox as the front end, thousands of MAME games and a few Atari 2600 games...

As for the marquee, there's a guy on Ebay who will make custom ones. I sent him the design and the exact size I needed and he sent it out the next day.

Sorry, my phone's camera blows.

multicade1.thumb.jpg.588e55a8de0bbf15089bcb4850b49107.jpg

multicade2.thumb.jpg.55928671eb90f1001786df0717152a13.jpg

multicade3.thumb.jpg.23deee6025e70064a53889e6ce907eda.jpg

• Like 3

On 3/23/2017 at 5:37 PM, netboy said:

How do you like it? I am planning on getting the same one just the sit down version.

Sorry for the delayed response.  Just getting back from vacation.

I like it a lot. It was a major pain in the ass to get it assembled (took 6-7 hours total with two people).  It's assembled Ikea-style with dowels and those metal inserts you screw heavy screws into, tightening with an allen wrench or Phillips head screwdriver.  But once it's put together, it's impressible solid.  Not rickety at all!  It's the perfect height and nice and wide for two people to stand side-by-side without being too cramped.  (The controller is wider than the X-Arcade Tankstick for reference).

My "complaints" are minor and easily remedied:

(1) The included fluorescent light for the marquee is 16" or 18" in length.  This makes the center of my marquee light and the edges sort of dark.  I'm just going to replace it with a 24" (or two 12") lights so it'll be lit up better.

(2)  The slide-out keyboard tray is sort of unfinished and flimsy, and just slides on some plastic guides instead of wheels.  The tray has small finger holes to help you pull it out.  Also the tray doesn't quote pull out far enough for my taste, but it's doable.  Admittedly, this is quite a minor complaint since I don't find myself using the keyboard very often and it works well enough.

(3)  The hinged panel that opens to expose the keyboard tray desperately needs a knob to open it.  I'll be adding one, which is a trivial task.

Any other questions, let me know.

-Mike

5 hours ago, Rincewind said:

Great cabinet what size screen is that? Also an chance of a close pic of the control panel to see what all your buttons are set to

My screen is a 32" flatscreen TV.  The cabinet will hold anything that's a maximum of 31" in width.  I recommend something that's as closed to 31" wide as possible, so you don't have unsightly space around the edges.  The glass/plastic in front of the screen sort of hides some of that, but if you look carefully, you can see the edges.  The back of the cabinet is completely open, so if the screen isn't wide enough you would be able to see clear to the wall behind the cabinet.

As for the control panel, the stock photos are here:

https://www.recroommasters.com/Xtension_Two_Player_Control_Board_Emulator_Edition_p/rm-xt-sd-board-ee.htm

I notice they don't seem to have the close-up of all the buttons, so here are my attempts at photographing them.

IMG_4667.thumb.JPG.091d91962a630650b943f952a4ae536b.JPGIMG_4668.thumb.JPG.fb97916b6aab55e09f6f33f93b999c24.JPGBy default, the EXIT button maps to ESC to exit a MAME game.  And the MENU key maps to TAB to bring up the MAME menu.

Any other questions, fire away!

-Mike

• Like 1

8 hours ago, shadowdragon said:

Thanks for sharing.   Took a look at the site "recroommasters.com", looks like a fun project.   The quality looks great.   Now let's see if they will ship internationally and how much additional cash it will incur.

I can't imagine it would be cheap, even if they allowed it.  As a point of reference, it cost me US$138.46 to have it shipped (via ground) approximately 625 miles (1000km).  If they ship internationally, please let us curious folks know what you find out.

-Mike

• Like 1