LaunchBox Community Forums

MAME Update

jayray442

This is probably a really dumb question, i mame .161 up and running great in launch box. I'm to update all the way to .183, i have all the update packs and am ready to go. My plan is to unzip each update one at a time and cope and paste over into the mame roms folder one update at a time until i reach .183 and then after that have launch box search for any new roms. Is this the correct way to do it? I was bout to start but then i read you have to through clrmame pro to update whuch i have never used, By the way i believe i have the Non Merged set becasue i have around 30,000 roms shown in the roms folder. Thanks very much for the help!

No, do not simply copy over update rom packs.

These update files only contain the updated rom files and not all the rom files so you could be copying over and over writing a .zip file with missing files.

Example: Old .zip contains roms a,b,c, and d, the new one contains an updated rom c file and nothing else. So in the end you would be updating your old .zip with a file that only contains a single file and not the whole rom.

You should either use a program like clrmamepro to update your romset or if you want it to be easier and you have the bandwidth download a new fully updated rom set.