LaunchBox Community Forums

Better Artwork Updates

Styphelus

I recently cleaned up box and flyer sets for the Virtual Boy, Sammy Atomiswave, AAE, Sega Model 2 and Model 3 and Laserdisc (Daphne and American Laser Games) which now seems to be missing from the games DB. Anyway, how do I go about updating the current sets in the DB? Do I add images and add the cleaned up sets even if that results in duplicate art work or does the person in charge of the DB want a link to my sets? 

I'm currently updating the PC-FX db...doing a few everyday so it might take a few weeks to finish. I'm also cleaning up a high res Sega CD set so soon there will be a lot of covers to update on that set as well. 

I completed Taito Type X section a while back (before someone started adding Nescicax Live games to it). You can see the quality of my cleanup artwork there or on the PC-FX section. 

I just want to know what I should do. Don't tell me it's complicated. I don't have time for complicated stuff. I can either click the add button or provide the moderator a link to my google drive.

Ok thanks. Didn't know that. It only shows up once you actually click the image. Good thing you told me. I had no idea.

Now, for Atomiswave for example, the cover art there was taken from a custom set on the net and it shows the green spine as part of the front cover on the left side. These were arcade games so they had flyers not cartrige cases. Should the custom covers get moved to front cover reconstructed instead? I mean, they weren't even cropped properly.

I also have a 3D set for the PC-FX. The problem with it is that they are all 3D CD cases and PC-FX games were released either in a CD case or a long VHS style case. So whoever created the 3D set years ago, shrunk the VHS cases to fit in a CD case. Should I upload that set as well even if it's not completely correct?

Edited by Styphelus

Reconstructed should be only used if the cover isn’t an actual scan of the original artwork but still looks very similar like the original. For example complete redraws or custom recreations which aim for accuracy. Cleaned up versions are okay to go to the normal boxes as long as there aren't any alterations or wrong colors in the artwork; but when in doubt it's probably better to upload them to reconstructed as well.

Custom covers that differ from the original (or in this case don’t even have an original) should be always put in the Fanart category.

The thing with 3D cases is that they are all custom in some way and especially when it comes to the spines they can widely differ accuracy wise depending on the set. So I would say just go for it and upload the shrunken ones as well. We can still replace them when someone comes up with ones that are more accurate.

Thanks. That helps clarify things.

My cleaned up artwork is from the original scans from sets already available over at hyperspin or emumovies I don't make alterations or redraw anything. I just remove the grain, retouch cracks, level out the blacks, readjust rotation if needed and adjust the colour balance slightly to make them look brand new again. As you know a lot of the scans in existence are of very poor quality or very faded. I just do my best to restore them to their original quality.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Styphelus said:

Thanks. That helps clarify things.

My cleaned up artwork is from the original scans from sets already available over at hyperspin or emumovies I don't make alterations or redraw anything. I just remove the grain, retouch cracks, level out the blacks, readjust rotation if needed and adjust the colour balance slightly to make them look brand new again. As you know a lot of the scans in existence are of very poor quality or very faded. I just do my best to restore them to their original quality.

Sure, in that case you can definitely upload them as normal box art.

Only the the custome covers like the Atomiswave ones you've mentioned should definitely go to fanart. Especially when they still have the green spine on the side that aren't there on the original flyers.

Also a huge thanks for contributing to the cause. I really appreciate it :)

• 3 weeks later...