LaunchBox Community Forums

Configure overscan option per game in Retroarch?

gam3rz3r0

I'm not sure it's even possible but was wondering if there is a way to make certain games have different overscan settings. I'm aware about all the limitations on the NES with the overscan garbage on the side of certain games and I can fix it (mostly) by changing the settings in Retroarch. When I do that Castlevania in particular has too much of the picture cut off, then I have to go back in and revert my changes. So my question is there a way to have the overscan option on for SMB3 and off for Castlevainia without having to go into the settings each time? I tried the "save game overrides" option and it only seems to keep the last game options I saved.  

Which core are you using? Some are better than others, and it may look worse on some.

Otherwise, you can use the Game Overrides option. It's like system overrides, or custom configs, but it only applies to that game and happens automatically. I'm not too well versed in the Overrides, but I believe you make your changes, save the games overrides (it needs to be loaded obviously), then move on. Should load up automatically.

• Like 1

Thanks SB, I'm using the Nestopia UE core. After a lot of screwing around in the options I figured it out :) If anyone else interested I went to Quick Menu>Options> then change the settings to your liking > once thats done go the top of the menu and press enter on "game-options file". then it should be good to go.

So something to note about game-options files is that it literally only impacts changes you make to your core options. It should also be noted that you have to enable the ability to save the options file in Settings -> Configuration -> "Load content-specific core options automatically". If you can accomplish your goal via core options, that'll work fine.

However, depending on the system, you might not be able to get the proper cropping by that method. PSX, in particular, (and N64 to a lesser degree) needs a lot of fine-tuning from game to game. For that you have to go to Settings -> Video and adjust the Aspect Ratio, Custom Aspect Ratio X and Y, Custom Aspect Ratio Width and Height, and Integer Scale On and Off. Once you get it to where you want it, you then go to Quick Menu -> Save Game Override. "Load Override Files Automatically" needs to be enabled in Settings -> Configuration.

That was half of the goal of this project; the other half being to set the appropriate controller type (normal pad, dual analog, or dual shock) and analog to digital setting for each game.

• Like 1

And obviously if you change cores then the settings wont work anymore. Does the Override method work across different cores @Zombeaver?

I've also been using FCEUMM and haven't noticed any issues. The only thing I changed was the aspect ratio (was too skinny for more), and the palette. Also, don't forget to update  RetroArch and your cores every once in a while, things will update and change.

Overrides do work across different cores, yes, though you'll have to copy them into an override folder for that core. RA creates a folder for overrides in Retroarch -> config -> [specific core name folder] so if you were to switch from say Mednafen PSX HW to just Mednafen PSX you'd need to copy the overrides from one folder to the other.