LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox / Launchbox Performance / Computer Specs

NJDave71

Computer Specs

Processor                               AMD A8-7650K Processor Unlocked Quad Core 3.3GHz Radeon R7 GPU
Memory                                  Xidax Performance 1600MHz DDR3
Graphics Card                       AMD Radeon R7 250 Graphics Card - 1GB DDR5
SSD                                         Crucial 64GB (OS ONLY)
HDD                                        Western Digital Blue 1TB - 7200RPM 3.5" HDD (Everything else)
OS                                           Windows 10 Home Premium 64-Bit (Still on Anniversary build)

This machine is dedicated retro arcade machine.  I have over 10000 games (over 20 years of games that I have purchased or converted ROM).   
I am supporter of .NET developers and have chosen to use BigBox as my dedicated FE.   I have some unexplained slow downs and loading issues that i never experienced with other FE.

1.  videos will loop multiple times during loading of BigBox.  I have chosen a longer video but the video is interrupted when BigBox is ready.

2.  During navigation i am presented with gray image place holder while loading or fetching the image and they do show up after about 20 seconds.

3.  Sometimes BigBox will show partial video of a game or platform that had passes during navigation.   example Atari 2600 will play but if I skip Daphne and go to Nintendo it will play partial videos until it catches up.  (inconsistent).

4. When launching a game their seems to be a slight delay when loading the game this is inconsistent.    (If I load the game directly using the emulator this is not an issue)

Before I go through a clean install of the OS is anyone experiencing these issues or have recommendations to improve performance?

Also to point 1.

That is very dependent on your bigbox startup time, there is a option in settings to tell bigbox to delay launching for anywhere between 0-30 seconds if you are using a startup video, you will just have to test what works for you as every pc has a different startup time.

Oh and point 2. You can go to options/image cache and force image caching, you will have to wait for it to complete, but should eradicate that grey box issue.

I have successfully upgraded to windows 10 Creator (not a clean install yet)  everything works well.  However, Big Box still takes 30 or so seconds to show it's UI causing the startup videos to loop if shorter then load time.

What is BB doing prior to displaying it's UI / or when an Intro Video is playing?  

Ideally i like for the UI to load as quickly as possible or once the startup video is done playing or a key is pressed to interrupt it.