LaunchBox Community Forums

Mame Updates

jayray442

I'm Starting with a full mame with chd set .161, i have all the update packs to make mame the current editon, so i'm going to use clrmamepro and add each update one by one tell i'm current. My questions is - Is there seperate updated  for the chd's or are thhey part of the regular updates?

Thanks,

Jason

MAME roms and CHD files have different update packs. So yes, two separate downloads for each update pack.

However, keep in mind, there was a big shift for MAME roms (to do with key files I recall), and so one of the versions of MAME required a much bigger update. I don't know if the update packs covered that, and I don't remember what version or what happened to change things around, but I believe this happened from .161 to .184. Even if the update packs do solve that issue, with that many update packs (maybe not for CHD's) it might be easier to just download a brand new .184 split rom pack, and you would bypass that potential issue. After downloading that many update packs, it might be close enough in size to downloading a fresh pack. Even if the pack is a bit larger, I would say that the time you save from not having to use CLRMAMEPro would out weight a minor size difference. I don't think the CHD packs would get up to 450GB, but that could be the case too.

I just downloaded a full merged 0.184 .chd set a couple of days ago, it was 435gb in size. I also downloaded a full non-merged 0.184 romset and that is about 120gb. So all In you are looking at about 550gb worth of data. Obviously I cant tell you where to get them from but googling is always a "pleasure".

"mame dome of pleasure" actually yields results. ;) .184 split is working for a lot of people, and is half the size, but for others (including myself), split had some issues and right when non-merged came out and is the one I suggest, but both SHOULD work. Just ignore the Merged MAME rom packs, they don't import correctly. CHD packs only come merged. There will also be "software list" packs, and those can be ignored for the most part. The only one I didn't ignore was CD-i. I had all my CD-i games, and none of them wanted to load in MESS (in MAME), but the CD-i software list pack of CHD's worked. Thankfully, they didn't have the short hand names, they had full names, so they were able to be scraped properly.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SentaiBrad said:

"mame dome of pleasure" actually yields results. ;) .184 split is working for a lot of people, and is half the size, but for others (including myself), split had some issues and right when non-merged came out and is the one I suggest, but both SHOULD work. Just ignore the Merged MAME rom packs, they don't import correctly. CHD packs only come merged. There will also be "software list" packs, and those can be ignored for the most part. The only one I didn't ignore was CD-i. I had all my CD-i games, and none of them wanted to load in MESS (in MAME), but the CD-i software list pack of CHD's worked. Thankfully, they didn't have the short hand names, they had full names, so they were able to be scraped properly.

Ok cool, wasn't sure how vague I should be about that. ;)