LaunchBox Community Forums

Why did LaunchBox split my Mame roms into 14 different platforms?

BradJohnson

Hello, world.

I only installed LaunchBox yesterday, and upgrade to premium today.

I love it.

I've installed, say 1,000 each Sega Genesis, NES, and SNES Roms so far with no issues, but now I import a mere 130 Mame roms, and they create 13 different platforms.

I prefer all the Mame/Arcade to be under a single platform. 

How did I screw up, and how do I fix it?

Thanks

Brad

FYI, It broke them down into:

Atari Classics

Data East Classics

Irem Classics

Konami Classics

Midway Classics

Namco Classics

Nintendo Classics

Sega Classics

SNK Classics

SNK Neo Geo MVS

Taito Classics

Williams Classics

It's all rather frustrating and I hope I can get them all under just "Arcade" or "Mame".

Thanks again

I think I might have figured it out... It looks like my Mame executable was a self extracting archive, and I pointed LaunchBox at that, before extracting it. 

I have since extracted that, but now I have to wait until all my TurboGrafx files have imported before I can do anything else. 

I'll update the thread when I can.

Those aren't 14 different platforms, those are the Playlists. Your Arcade platform still exists with all of your games, but LaunchBox automatically creates Playlists for Arcade based on the popular playlists people wanted. When importing MAME, there is a check box on the MAME Importer at the bottom. Unchecking it will make LB not create playlists.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SentaiBrad said:

Those aren't 14 different platforms, those are the Playlists. Your Arcade platform still exists with all of your games, but LaunchBox automatically creates Playlists for Arcade based on the popular playlists people wanted. When importing MAME, there is a check box on the MAME Importer at the bottom. Unchecking it will make LB not create playlists.

Thanks, Brad!

So apparently I screwed up twice on that go-at-it.

Without your advice I'd have totally missed that little check box on my second go around as well.  Currently around 1/3 of the way importing again, and have high hopes.

Brads Forever!  :-D

ETA:   Yes!  It worked.

Edited by BradJohnson
update

Woo! There's another Brad in the YouTube comments too. We're coming for everyone! I am glad it worked though.

You can edit playlists and remove them as well by going to the playlist view. So on the left side, the place where it lists your consoles, at the top is a drop down menu. From there choose playlists from the bottom. You can right click the empty space to create them, and you can also right click playlists to edit them. You can put them in their own Platform Category (I put them in Playlists myself), since I use the Platform Category view, since I have a lot of platforms. So you don't need to re-import your games all over again. If you do need to re-import stuff though, if you already downloaded all the media press the "Uncheck All" buttons on those two media screens so that way nothing gets re-downloaded. When you remove games, media doesn't go anywhere so you can have it automatically re-attach as long as the platform name stays the same.