LaunchBox Community Forums

Platform name change

Deadraque

I have bought launchbox and enjoy it but there is one thing that keeps driving me nuts.

Changing the name of imported games seems to mess all media data up. For example changing Commodore Amiga to Amiga makes all the images disappear, so i need to browse for each category the commodore Amiga folder to see it again. it's a hassle but ok. But it get's worse with adding new games. I'll take the Steam Example I imported my 2300+ games, and changed the name windows to STEAM. Now I have 10 new games, so added them with the import tool and hop they don't add to steam he makes the platform Windows again! So I bulk move the games to Steam and the images disappear of the new imported games because i moved them to steam.

It's driving me nuts because i need to manually edit them again and download the media, but couldn't remember the 10 names so had to go search them on steam. en come back in launchbox and search each game to edit. The import tool should ask in what Platform would you like to add the new games.

Maybe there are other ways

So, because you're changing the names after the fact means the folders on the backend aren't being changed over. You need to go in to your LaunchBox folder, then go in to the Images, Video, Music, and Manuals folders. Rename the old platform to the new platform, and all of the images will re-attach automatically. In fact, now you have duplicated all your images. If you want to use custom platform names that's fine, this is what Scrape As is for. When you import a platform, and you type in a custom name, then a box will pop up and let you set the proper platform to scrape it as. Be careful too, because there is a Windows platform as is, and some metadata might get over written. You can also set the Scrape As up after import by going to Tools -> Manage Platforms and editing existing platforms.

Hi, thanks for your reply, but when you import steam games you cannot choose any name or there is no scrape as button anywhere.

Also when I started i didn't set the names from the start. I did that when all games where imported and found some platform names annoying as i am used to use other names like NES and not the whole Nintendo entertainment blablabla thing :) or each time I thinks Amiga I had to remind me in the list oh no it's Commodore Amiga, so what i dit on platforms was right click edit and change platform name, so the folders changed also in that edit window but images didn't follow... It would be nice it auto follows or auto link everything again, because the steam situation even by renaming folders and so one a new game get's added he seems to make the Windows platform again.... and moving them results again in the same situation.

Funny thing is when I made own Platforms like Uplay, Origin, GOG and boxed games, launchbox didn't create folders for them and put also everything in windows folder, as gog or origin cannot be selected as a platform, so renaming the folders is not an option for me, as it will then break links of those own made platforms. I could copy all 3 times but then I would end up with massive duplicate data. And adding new games result in the same thing that it adds the game to windows platform again unless I manually change Platform to gog or origin manually each time. 

Example: going to UPLAY platform adding the game GHOST RECON: WILDLANDS clicking search for metadata and hop the platform is set to WINDOWS, have to manual select UPLAY, but images will still go to windows folder....

4 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

In regards to linking the image folder after renaming you can go to tools/manageplatforms/platformname/edit and click the folder tab there and you can browse to any folder on your pc.

Screenshot (108).png

Yep that's what i said there is where i changed the links for steam, NES, Amiga and so on. that's what I am saying if you add a new game it will result going to other Folders again evn if you changed these folders, games like steam, uplay, gog, and more will result going in the WINDOWS folder NOT to the STEAM, GOG and so on folders.

1 minute ago, Deadraque said:

Yep that's what i said there is where i changed the links for steam, NES, Amiga and so on. that's what I am saying if you add a new game it will result going to other Folders again evn if you changed these folders, games like steam, uplay, gog, and more will result going in the WINDOWS folder NOT to the STEAM, GOG and so on folders.

Yeah but what im saying is you can just point your STEAM, and GOG etc platforms to pull the images and videos from the Windows image folder. So you import your platform rename it, which will unlink it from the Windows image folder. You can then go into that option i showed above and point the platform back to the Windows folder. So you will have a platform called GOG, but it will pull the images from the Windows folder which is where launchbox stores them by default.

On pic one you can see my list, pic 2 how my folder is set for Uplay as an example, pic 3 i add wildlands, if i don't change the platform manually each time it result in pic 4 where WINDOWS platform is added. when i do add 1 game i can pay attention to it not when importing new steam games in bulk. I hope you see what i mean, it goes to launchbox metadata setting and doesn't care that i created it in Uplay for this instance. Launchbox should leave that box alone and not changing it to windows but leaving it to UPLAY.

001.PNG

003.PNG

004.PNG

005.PNG

If you have an issue with how the program currently handles this situation your best bet would to click the isses/requests in this sites header and make a request for how you would like to see the behavior change.

Oki, thx for your help, just wanted to let you know it was a little annoyance and it is maybe not exactly easy to explain. the only thing that i see is that everything should move with name edits. But thanks again and find it an excellent program just with a  few flaws but hoping it will get fixed in future. I see there is continues work on it so it's great to see it evolve.