LaunchBox Community Forums

Castlevania Playlist Theme (WIP)

Just a quick snippet of the playlist theme I'm working on for the Castlevania series. Not sure how I feel about the blood splatter, though, so feedback is welcome if anybody has any. The track is "Wicked Child" as re-mixed and performed by our very own forum member @MetalVinnie!! Be sure to give him some love for this awesome remix and thanks for sharing it to be used in a theme! Maybe it will inspire him to create others.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, JamesBaker said:

@metalvinnie is unbelievably amazing! 

Nice vid CTRL. 

Don't know if this tutorial will be of any use to you, but I'm hoping I can come up with relevant tutorials for you guys. :)

Plus, I've noticed you use After Effects. 

Anyways, if I'm being spammy, then just let me know. :P

I really appreciate that! I'd like to make things more professional looking, so I'm always up for tutorials to learn more stuff. I've been using time expressions for over-time evolution, but I did not know about loop out expressions, so thank you.

I usually watch Andrew Kramer's Video Co-Pilot tutorials. It's pretty nice they show you how to do things within After Effects that their plug-ins are made to do, since I can't validate spending $100, $200 or $300 for some of them (although I have been tempted to get 3D Elements, but probably won't). I DID get Twitch ($45) and I use the Color Vibrance and Saber plug-ins (FREE!!). :D

• Like 1

Hey @JamesBaker

I know you use Premier, but do you ever use the Echo effect in your comps? Every time I want to use it, it doesn't work the way I see it working in the tutorials I've watched on it. Instead of creating duplicates of the image, it just brightens the image that I apply it to.

Other than adjusting the number of echoes, I leave everything else at defaults (just like in the tutorials), so I have no idea why it would just make the image brighter without any actual echoes.

Just wondering if you have ever noticed this/have any clue what I might be doing wrong.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT said:

Hey @JamesBaker

I know you use Premier, but do you ever use the Echo effect in your comps? Every time I want to use it, it doesn't work the way I see it working in the tutorials I've watched on it. Instead of creating duplicates of the image, it just brightens the image that I apply it to.

Other than adjusting the number of echoes, I leave everything else at defaults (just like in the tutorials), so I have no idea why it would just make the image brighter without any actual echoes.

Just wondering if you have ever noticed this/have any clue what I might be doing wrong.

I have used it yes, BUT will have to refresh myself by downloading some of my old project files. What exactly are you trying to accomplish with the echo effect?

(Sorry for just getting back to you... I actually just got back online)

:)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JamesBaker said:

I have used it yes, BUT will have to refresh myself by downloading some of my old project files. What exactly are you trying to accomplish with the echo effect?

(Sorry for just getting back to you... I actually just got back online)

:)

No problemo! I want to use it as an easier method to get the motion trail effect when something is moving around and I want to make it look like it's going fast. I've had to resort to making multiple copies of the image and then setting the timings slightly off for each one (and apply a blur effect to the trailing duplicates) to get that effect. It's super time consuming and a pain, especially if you want the image to do anything other than moving back and forth, so I tend to opt out of using in my videos with motion most of the time, but it looks cool in certain circumstances. I heard about the echo effect and watched some videos, but every time I apply it and increase the echo above 1, the image just gets brighter and brighter with no motion trail. I guess a good example of the effect is in your DS video. The wings of the pokemon have that kind of effect. Not sure you used echo there, but that's what I've seen echo do in the videos I've watched.

I was also curious if you use a Wacom tablet for recreating images? I've considered purchasing one (I draw frequently) since they seem to be compatible with GIMP with a little elbow grease for getting the inputs mapped. It'd be nice to have an idea for how to re-create/create images for games that either have no artwork available or really low quality art. :D

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT said:

No problemo! I want to use it as an easier method to get the motion trail effect when something is moving around and I want to make it look like it's going fast. I've had to resort to making multiple copies of the image and then setting the timings slightly off for each one (and apply a blur effect to the trailing duplicates) to get that effect. It's super time consuming and a pain, especially if you want the image to do anything other than moving back and forth, so I tend to opt out of using in my videos with motion most of the time, but it looks cool in certain circumstances. I heard about the echo effect and watched some videos, but every time I apply it and increase the echo above 1, the image just gets brighter and brighter with no motion trail. I guess a good example of the effect is in your DS video. The wings of the pokemon have that kind of effect. Not sure you used echo there, but that's what I've seen echo do in the videos I've watched.

I was also curious if you use a Wacom tablet for recreating images? I've considered purchasing one (I draw frequently) since they seem to be compatible with GIMP with a little elbow grease for getting the inputs mapped. It'd be nice to have an idea for how to re-create/create images for games that either have no artwork available or really low quality art. :D

I think I possibly did.... I KNOW I used it premiere for the regular famicom theme..... Which well, isn't on my channel anymore and now that I think about it, isnt on the launchbox channel either...... ugh...........

Like I said, let me pull those project files out and I'll see whats going on with that.......

No, about the wacom tablet. Would be awesome to do redraws that way though wouldnt it? All touch tablet.........

Ummm, since you are a Adobe user - I would actually recommend learning how to draw with the pen tool in photoshop and Illustrator first... Or if you plan on doing touchscreen, just make sure you can apply all of that to adobe programs. The reason why I say that - You know how you can create shape paths in after effects? Well, what if you already have an illustrious drawing you have done in Illustrator,,, You can import each individual layer into after effects and convert those layers to shape paths based off of what you have already drawn. Makes for really nice effects. Especially the "draw-on" effect.

but back to the echo effect - I'm downloading those project files right now, let me see what I can gather....

• Like 1

WHAAAA??? You telling me you do that with a mouse and keyboard? Holy cow. Now that makes those videos even more awesome. :)

I was thinking of going ahead and paying the extra $30 per month to get all of the Creative Cloud software. I use GIMP because that's all I've ever used, but I did hear a while back that you can import projects seemlessly throughout the applications. I also found out, after I had already opted for After Effects, that Premiere would have been the way to go for the smaller projects I do... After Effects is over kill, but oh well. :D

I really appreciate you taking the time to check and I LOVE that Super Famicom video. I am hoping (fingers-crossed) that you'll do one for a generic Playlist (I can't come up with any ideas for one yet), one for the MSX (nobody gives any love to that thing) :) and then, of course, PC Engine CD and the SuperGrafx.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT said:

WHAAAA??? You telling me you do that with a mouse and keyboard? Holy cow. Now that makes those videos even more awesome. :)

I was thinking of going ahead and paying the extra $30 per month to get all of the Creative Cloud software. I use GIMP because that's all I've ever used, but I did hear a while back that you can import projects seemlessly throughout the applications. I also found out, after I had already opted for After Effects, that Premiere would have been the way to go for the smaller projects I do... After Effects is over kill, but oh well. :D

I really appreciate you taking the time to check and I LOVE that Super Famicom video. I am hoping (fingers-crossed) that you'll do one for a generic Playlist (I can't come up with any ideas for one yet), one for the MSX (nobody gives any love to that thing) :) and then, of course, PC Engine CD and the SuperGrafx.

"Yes," most definitely pay for the entire suite. In my opinion it is the best!