LaunchBox Community Forums

Min. Specs per Platform

THRobinson

Just wondering, is there a chart or anything with min. specs per platform?

I see a lot of posts about min. specs for a build, and sometimes they seem really low, sometimes they seem overkill...

Be nice if there was a chart where you could look through and pick a platform like N64 and next to it recommended min. specs, then go down the list to PS2, see what specs are recommended for that, etc... that way you can look up the types of games you'll be playing and know what to build. No point spending $800 on a rig but never playing anything newer than a PSOne game. 

Also, game/emulators aside... min. specs for LaunchBox/BigBox as well.

Is there something like that somewhere? Would it be something maybe we can start building?

I'm looking to build a cabinet soon, been testing games on my home PC and on the fence about PS2 games. Run fine on my system, but I'm not sure I want to stand at an Arcade cabinet with a PS3 controller not using the joystick/buttons. I may just leave those on my PC and not bother with game systems that need a gamepad (PSOne/PS2). At which point, my recommended min. specs of a 3rd Gen i5 (other thread) probably drop down significantly. 

Only thing for Arcade is do you want to play Demul Arcade games Taito Type X Nesica in other words more modern Arcade games if you do you need the machine to push them so 3rd gen i5 is a good starting point to me. My Arcade Machine has a AMD e450 in it and it is seriously under powered and not capable of running those systems

I'm just now (yesterday) learning about those... I have a copy of Marvel vs Capcom 2, that loads the splash screen of their logo, then says loading game, then hangs... was researching last night and discovered that stuff. Very confusing for noobs for sure. I figured if it was under MAME, MAME emulators would run it... now finding out that although under MAME it's some sorta thing called Naomi, which is a beefed up Sega Dreamcast, which means not really MAME but rather some other emulator altogether. :S

I think I'll have to Google those you mentioned, and see what games in the list I'd want to play if any, to see if I need more hardware. Sitting here playing God of War though, I've established that if I need a handheld controller to play the game, I'm not putting it on the Arcade. Just seems odd playing an arcade machine that way.

OP Wise though... a list I know would be subjective, but to me, min. specs means that the game loads, and runs smooth. Maybe at min. settings for the game, but that's what min. specs usually assume. I'm sure there's got to be some agreement on what's minimal, and what recommended and what's ideal.

Yeah my Arcade machine doesn't have any controllers connected to it and I only play systems that are workable on the Arcade controls. That being said aren't there PS2 fighters and all that you can use with the Arcade controls and wouldn't utilize the full gamepad anyway (I'm not sure if there is but I've seen arcade sticks sold for many different consoles over the years.

Edited by DOS76

Honestly don't know my games that well... for consoles especially. I do miss a lot of the old games though and need a project for this summer that's fun no work (like rebuilding the garage and renovating the kitchen). That's what started the Arcade build.

That said... not sure how many fight games and side scrollers there are for PS2, and how many I'd play.

When working on the RaspPi one thing I learned was that sometimes you can't get a game working because no emulator, but same game exists on another console. Not sure if the case for PS2 arcade style games or not... guess need to find a list somewhere of the games and scroll through and see how many exactly I'll be interested in. Likely I think the cabinet is going to be RaspPi based though, and LaunchBox on the PC for the few stragglers of games I really want like the GoW series. Maybe upgrade later but budget doesn't really allow for about $300CAD for computer parts. Though I will say, cheaper to buy parts new than buy a used system online... not needing the case, video card or hard drive drops the cost down quite a bit. Also... seems when it's used, people's idea of what a 'gaming rig' is, is pretty much all over the place. :D

I would look at a small form factor Windows PC personally they maybe more expensive then a RaspPi but to me Windows is a must I don't feel anything else measures up.

https://www.amazon.com/MeeGOPad-T09-Licensed-x5-Z8300-1000Mbps/dp/B01JLM750U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495899769&sr=8-1&keywords=meegopad+t09

This little guy is what I would buy if I needed a small form factor PC to run simple systems on it has 4GB of RAM and the x5-Z8300 is a capable chip to run a low power arcade machine with BB/LB capabilities.

Almost $250... (Canadian)... $300 I can get 8GB ram, motherboard, PSU and an i3-6100. Already have a drive and a GTX650TiBoost card laying around.

But... again, if omitting PS2 games a $49 RaspPi may suffice. Use my regular PC for FPS's and a few occasional other games.

Are the more modern (demul Arcade games Taito Type X Nesica) as CPU/GPU hungry as PS2? for $150 I can probably get a 2nd Gen i5. Which goes back to the OP and how a min. specs chart would be insanely helpful. :D

...and a good BMW beats out a station wagon any day of the week too... costs more too. :D

I don't dispute that a good PC beats a RaspPi... but can you get a decent Window's spec'd machine for $49CAD?

Plus... what's decent spec'd? based on the response to my OP, everyone's idea of min. specs are different. It's a downhill battle. :D

I'll keep launchbox on the PC, and Pi for the arcade. I'll also build the arcade such that if/when I have a few extra bucks, I can easily swap it out for something else. Budget wise, the most I can probably get is a QuadCore Q9450.

• 3 weeks later...

So, gotta ask... why Win10?

I haven't tried Win10 yet... been my experience that when you upgrade, the advantages are often cancelled out by the resources it takes forcing a hardware update. Usually I upgrade to every other version of Windows, because the odd ones seem to always suck, so I'm due to get Win10 soon now that a service pack was released.

I believe ithe explanattion was that .net stuff more optimized in Windows 10. That being said there are plenty of Windows 7 users that haven't felt the need to switch from Windows 7 to Windows 10 to be happy with the program.

Edited by DOS76