LaunchBox Community Forums

Installing update version of Launchbox clears Mame controller settings

zorkiii

I just updated to the new version of Launchbox, for some reason whenever I update Launchbox my Mame controller settings are getting cleared out (default.cfg values are clearing out on launch of Mame I am guessing). I posted this somewhere before on a different thread a while back when it first happened but not sure where it went. 

The controls appear to be set for all my other emulators except Mame, I am not understanding why my Mame controller setup would be affected by a Launchbox update. To be clear, my default.cfg in Mame (which is on a completely different drive and folder from Launchbox installation) is getting reset to clear all the values I had assigned. It's not that hard to reassign the default.cfg, but wondering if anyone has any input on why this would occur? 

• 2 months later...

Same exact problem here.  I reported it in a separate thread. I'm personally convinced Its an issue with the way Mame handles Joystick port mappings. The issue becomes real bad for me since I am using wireless xbox one controllers. Every time the controllers disconnect, timeout, or the pc reboots,  mame loses its mapped gamepad configurations.

The best I can tell is that Mame does a check each and every time its launched and assigns the controllers as they become available.. Its not a static assignment. I think its using Xinput from windows to check and determine if gamepads are attached. The other problem on top of all this,  is that Windows 10 keeps changing the joystick port mapping assignments to its wireless adapter, so everytime the pc starts, there's a good chance it It grabs a different port for the gamepad.

For extra "fun" , try  adding in a Dolphin Bar,  ... lol.  my head really begins to hurt.

Would love to hear if anyone else has had this or resolved. Lord Monkus had provided me a great tip to set the CFG folder in mame to read only after configuring the gamepad inputs. That should work in blocking the gamepad values from being overwritten, however it seems that windows 10 on reboot randomly changes the gamepad port mappings,  so if you lock them in with mame and then windows changes them again, your literally SOL .....  Windows 10 permission settings don't seem to always work properly when making folders read only and restricting access. I've had issues restricting permissions on multiple machines.

It's apparently not a Launchbox issue,  but more a problem with the way Mame handles things.  My question here is, can the Launchbox dev team find a way to tame the way Mame behaves ?  Is it worth opening a ticket for this?

Edited by MazJohn [Mr Arcade]