LaunchBox Community Forums

Importing Windows 10 Apps for use in Launchbox - A Tutorial

JaysArcade

I've seen a few questions asked lately about how to import Windows 10 Apps from the Microsoft Store so I recorded a short tutorial on what you need to do to import them into Launchbox. It's actually quite simple, but finding and gaining access to the apps folder is the hardest part. I've only tested this in Windows 10 but it should work in Windows 8 as well. Below is the code I show in the video to enter into explorer to find the hidden apps folder. There are other ways to gain access to the apps folder, but this way will leave the original system permissions and ownership of the folder intact as intended by Microsoft. Here is the original lifehacker web page I took this information from. 

%windir%\explorer.exe shell:::{4234d49b-0245-4df3-b780-3893943456e1}

If you wanted to, you could make a shortcut to the apps folder using these instructions.

Right click on your Windows 8 or 10 desktop, select "new", then select "Shortcut".

Copy and paste the line of text below in the "Type Location of the Item" text field and select "Next".

%windir%\explorer.exe shell:::{4234d49b-0245-4df3-b780-3893943456e1}

Type a name for the shortcut and click "Finish".

You now should be able to easily enter the Apps folder via this shortcut.

Additionally, an easier way to create shortcuts from Apps per @DOS76 "use win+s to pull up the search from there you can type the name of a window 10 app and right click it in search and create a shortcut which is only good for adding games one at a time but an easy method to access the games without any code."

Edited by JaysArcade
Edited to add additional information.
  • Like 1

Just to add on you can also use win+s to pull up the search from there you can type the name of a window 10 app and right click it in search and create a shortcut which is only good for adding games one at a time but an easy method to access the games without any code.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

Just to add on you can also use win+s to pull up the search from there you can type the name of a window 10 app and right click it in search and create a shortcut which is only good for adding games one at a time but an easy method to access the games without any code.

I didn't even think of that. That's a great tip and probably a lot easier than what I'm showing here. Thanks! I'm not a big app user, but there are a couple that I like to have handy.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...