LaunchBox Community Forums

Editing Clear Logo's

spectral

Does anyone know of a good guide on editing clear logo's? The best background video's are all quite dark and I'm having trouble with game clear logo's that are all or mostly black. I'd like to add some colour to add contrast. However I have no idea where to begin. It needs to be step by step because I'm about as artistic as a blind dog who stepped in paint. Alternatively does anyone have a good background video that would contrast better? Not too bright as then there is the same problem with white logo's.

Edited by spectral

The easiest solution would be Photoshop or GIMP. I would add a simple outline or drop shadow to the clear logo. The only problem is doing that to hundreds or thousands of images. But, it's something that I do to RSS Thumbnails for example. Any element I use has both applied to it. The outline really helps for images that I need to cut out. Since I don't spend 3 hours on a single image, I can't make it perfect and utilize the method to help hide that fact.

6-13-17.png

6-20-17.png

I'll download gimp and have a play, not got the fogiest on how to do even the simplest things when it comes to the arty stuff. I've literally never done anything more complex than add that red splodge to the pic in my other thread. Even that took too attemps and was on after I struggled with an arrow. Yes, I am that bad. Luckily most of the them seem fine, there are just a few that are almost completely black.

I don't use GIMP, so I wont be of too much help sadly. A quick google search will return lots of text and video tutorials though. "how to add a drop shadow in gimp", that sort of thing. If you send me an image you need edited, I can show you what it might look like, and see if that's something you even want.

The one that stood out the most so far is this one. It's Aerial Assault for the Master System. There have been some others but I was able to google some alternate designs for those. Can't find another for all of them though including this. I thought the easiest option would be to colour the text.

Aerial Assault-01.png

Edited by spectral

Just tried the 2nd one in BB and that works really well. Now I just need to figure out how to do that myself. I'm assuming it can't be massively difficult since you did it incredibly quickly. However I'm visiting my Gran for a week tomorrow so I think its going to have to wait until I get back.

Edited by spectral

Well, it is fairly simple in the grand scheme of things, but I've also been working with Photoshop for 7 or so years, with the last several needing to use it for work. Most of the problems you might face are just trying to figure out where things are in the menu, what stuff is called, etc. At least in Photoshop, with the outlines, you have tons and tons of different options and ways to apply it too. Make sure to set these clear logo's in the Reconstructed or Fan Art sections as well, since you want to make sure to note they're not original.

• Like 1