LaunchBox Community Forums

yo

Yooooooooooooo

So I think he's saying a game was released for PS1, Saturn and N64 instead of it showing under all the platforms it would show under PS1 (Just picking this system at random).  The game would not appear under Saturn or N64 but when you go to the game in PS1 it would give you the option of playing the other versions.  Someone else brought up something similar which I though would be great but the game would still appear under all the correct platforms but would still let you know that the game is available for the other platforms and let you select those versions as well.

letting you know that the game is also available for other platforms would be nice, but there are a shocking amount of games with the same name that are completely unrelated, so my fear is that it would show you the wrong games constantly. It would also require then names to not deviate. That would however be a potentially good feature for the Database @Vlansix, being able to have someone manually say "this game is also on this platform here", but hiding games from one platform because the game also exists in another would be very bad design in my opinion. If you're looking at all platforms, I could see why that might be appealing, but if you don't know that a game is on another platform then you'd never know with them merged.

If you're looking at a single platform, the other platforms are not loaded and it doesn't effect performance. It can if you're looking at All platforms, sure, but there is always more that can be done. Call me crazy, but that doesn't sound like good design.

So I just checked, and then Derek and Zombeaver pointed it out: Under additional applications you can now add something like a game, and assign it a different emulator. So you could add the alternate versions of those games to a single entry, and assign them a different emulator each. However, this would be a fully manual process. You could then hide the other entries and it's still achieving the same effect. It would be just as many steps otherwise, but this is a new check box for Additional Applications. Otherwise, it's not going to really improve performance any, and I think it's going to add confusion, but the option is there right now (at least in Beta), if you want to do this.

The only other thing I could think of would be to consolidate them all by doing something like going to "All" in LB, entering something like "Mario", selecting them all, and then consolidating them into one entry - you'd still have to choose a platform for it though, and it'd only show up in that one platform. I'm not sure how the emulators would be individually parsed into the additional apps either, you might have to still set them manually once they're pulled in. It'd still be some manual work and it'd only show up in a single platform.

I don't think you'd want all the related games in the details panel honestly. There's kindof a lot of information there already, between images, videos, and metadata - I think it'd kindof be a mess with those added in.

Well the only way to do that without actually showing separate entries for each game would be to do them via a single entry + additional apps (either added manually or via consolidation). You could name the additional apps "Commodore 64", "VIC-20" etc. and direct each to the appropriate game/emulator at which point they'll show up in the right-click menu in LB or in the details menu in BB.

To be honest with you, even if you were to go through the process of doing all this, I don't think it's going to have the impact that you think it will. If you're having performance issues, it's probably not because you have 10 different Mario games in your library.

I think this should be done but with out getting rid of them in the other platforms.  I want to be able to go to my game in PS1, Saturn or N64 but I want it to tell me if I'm in the Saturn version that the game is also on PS1 and N64 or if I'm in N64 that I can play it for PS1 or Saturn etc.

This is great for me if I'm just randomly scrolling and find a game that looks fun I want to know right away if it's on other systems so I can then go and check which version is the best so I can go play that best version.

23 hours ago, SentaiBrad said:

letting you know that the game is also available for other platforms would be nice, but there are a shocking amount of games with the same name that are completely unrelated, so my fear is that it would show you the wrong games constantly. It would also require then names to not deviate. That would however be a potentially good feature for the Database @Vlansix, being able to have someone manually say "this game is also on this platform here", but hiding games from one platform because the game also exists in another would be very bad design in my opinion. If you're looking at all platforms, I could see why that might be appealing, but if you don't know that a game is on another platform then you'd never know with them merged.

If you're looking at a single platform, the other platforms are not loaded and it doesn't effect performance. It can if you're looking at All platforms, sure, but there is always more that can be done. Call me crazy, but that doesn't sound like good design.

Aye, there's something in the works for this idea :).