LaunchBox Community Forums

Need help: Insert Coin/Start button - remapping

praet

Hi there,

Just wondering if somebody could please point me in the right direction in getting the 'Insert coin' and 'Start' buttons to work on an arcade stick I got today from eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Black-Acrylic-Double-Arcade-Stick-Video-USB-Game-Joystick-Controller-for-PC-/182673581763?var=&hash=item2a8831a6c3:m:m-RuIMmYQcYYsOnjYVmXSog).  

I'm using BigBox and Arcade via Mame 0.78. I've gone through all the settings in BigBox but can't see any option to remap those keys.

For some reason I still have to use the keyboard for insert coin/start.  EG: 1 or 2 button for 'Start', and, 5 or 6 for 'Insert coin'.

I read somewhere I need to open Mame and press 'Tab' to access the settings and remap those buttons mentioned above. I've tried opening Mame but get a window that says something about Mame being a command prompt application. So I used the 'CMD' command, access mame.exe and am clueless on how to remap the insert coin/start buttons to my arcade stick.

The arcade stick/buttons work fine. Just would be nice to access the insert coin/start buttons via my arcade stick :)

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Edited by praet
typo

The tab thing brings up an options menu in newer versions of mame. The one you have is pretty old so you might want to look into updating it. However I realise thats annoying with mame as it also means downloading the updated romset too. Hopefully someone else will be along to help with configuring the command line version. Unfortunately I've only ever used very recent builds.

Edited by spectral

Thanks for the reply Spectral. I'm a complete noob and after reading your post, I did some research particularly on youtube and see other people using the 'tab' option in their mame setup.  So I think I'll need to hunt around for an updated mame emulator and romset. Sigh! :(

9 hours ago, praet said:

Thanks for the reply Spectral. I'm a complete noob and after reading your post, I did some research particularly on youtube and see other people using the 'tab' option in their mame setup.  So I think I'll need to hunt around for an updated mame emulator and romset. Sigh! :(

You could also use some 3rd party software like controller companion or xpadder, to map those keyboard buttons to your controller, which fools windows into thinking a button on your stick is just a specific keyboard button.

Thanks for the suggestion @neil9000 :D Incidentally, I did some more tinkering last night.  I finally managed to get my joysticks/buttons to work in mame by downloading more mame emu's. The best thing is all my roms still work in the new mame emu :D 

I haven't tried this in LB/BB yet, but I'm sure that's irrelevant. I'm going to do a fresh install of LB/BB and re-import all my roms and replace old mame emu.

Fingers crossed I can finally use my joysticks in BB!

39 minutes ago, praet said:

Thanks for the suggestion @neil9000 :D Incidentally, I did some more tinkering last night.  I finally managed to get my joysticks/buttons to work in mame by downloading more mame emu's. The best thing is all my roms still work in the new mame emu :D 

I haven't tried this in LB/BB yet, but I'm sure that's irrelevant. I'm going to do a fresh install of LB/BB and re-import all my roms and replace old mame emu.

Fingers crossed I can finally use my joysticks in BB!

Just fyi, if they already work then i wouldn't recommend re-importing them. Just go to tools/manage emulators and edit your mame to point at the newer emu, then click on a mame game in your library and use ctrl and a to highlight them all, the right click and edit then choose emulator then in the second dropdown ypur mame emu.

Yes the roms work. So that's going to save me an incredible about of time! Thanks heaps for the tip @neil9000 :D:D 

As soon as that's 100% running, I'll be recessing the arcade controller into an old desk of mine and make a (crappy) bartop housing/enclosure for my monitor out of cardboard/old timber for a bit of fun. xD

• 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi, Guys! Noob here with the same issue. I have an Atari Dual Fightstick that I want to run with BigBox as part of a Arcade cabinet.  I see that users got their insert coin to work but how did anyone do this?  Thanks!