LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox recovery / new build

Dan89blaa

Hi guys, 

I have a problem where I wanted to transfer my whole launchbox folder from my external hdd to a internal hdd on my computer. 

Long story short there are some corrupted image folders and now launchbox will not work unless I get rid of those folders. So now I'm in damage control and am trying to save all my roms. 

My question is what config files and xml files do I need if I wanna start a new build with out importing all my roms and images again 

There is probably at least one xml file somewhere in your data folder that is messed up.

You could use the process of elimination to try to find it (moving file(s) out of there one by one until it launches ok, or you can restore the files from the backup folder from a time where everything worked. 

Is there any error at all?

Edited by ckp

4 minutes ago, ckp said:

There is probably at least one xml file somewhere in your data folder that is messed up.

You could use the process of elimination to try to find it (moving file(s) out of there one by one until it launches ok, or you can restore the files from the backup folder from a time where everything worked. 

Is there any error at all?

Yes I believe there was errors where a folder couldn't be  located like images\Sega genesis\front box.. Saying it could be due to a corrupted drive. 

Anyway So I found the folder and just deleted it to solve the conflict. Then I went to load it again and then a different images folder had the same error. 

So I just moved the whole images folder away and now it works. 

But I'm just concerned that other files could be corrupted that I don't know.

But the folder IS there? And you deleted this folder and it doesn't have a problem now? But I assume you have no front box images in your LB app either right?

Edit: Seems like I see two xml files that could be related to the images. Maybe settings.xml (the main LB settings file) and platforms.xml (genesis section)

Edit2: Sounds like you'll need to put a new empty front box folder back and copy some good images in there (or import again)

Edited by ckp

If you're worried about any files being corrupted on your internal drive (the LB copy) and you know they are good on your external drive, you can get some free folder file checksum tool to compare to the two Launchbox folders to see if it finds anything that doesn't match, or you could try copying the entire folder to external again (but maybe it will happen again if something isn't right about your external drive or permissions or something else).

11 minutes ago, ckp said:

If you're worried about any files being corrupted on your internal drive (the LB copy) and you know they are good on your external drive, you can get some free folder file checksum tool to compare to the two Launchbox folders to see if it finds anything that doesn't match, or you could try copying the entire folder to external again (but maybe it will happen again if something isn't right about your external drive or permissions or something else).

Thank you very much for all the info. When I get home from work I'll give it a whirl.

But yes because I have deleted the images folder,  I now dont have any box art or anything like that. But yeah I'll make new folders and try and copy the images back in.. Maybe I can find a program that can scan my folder for corrupted files. 

Thanks again, I'll let you know how I go. 

SOLVED

It was corrupt files making my launchbox not work. I looked on google and found a YouTube video of a guy using cmd prompt to scan for corrupt files on his hdd. 

He uses cmd prompt and inputs the command.... 

"chkdsk /f /D:"

(the D is for D drive so for anyone wanted to scan a different drive just replace the D with what ever drive you want to scan)

What it did after you input the command it scanned and fixed all corrupted files. (just make sure you don't have windows or tabs from that drive open while your scanning) 

Thanks again ckp. Without you I probably wouldn't of solved this so easily. 

That's good. When you have to run chkdsk to repair things, it can also be an indication of a drive going bad. I'd run chkdsk one or two more times if I were you, and keep an eye on Windows event viewer every now and then to see if it's logging disk errors (like bad sectors). If it is, it's likely a bad drive.

2 minutes ago, ckp said:

That's good. When you have to run chkdsk to repair things, it can also be an indication of a drive going bad. I'd run chkdsk one or two more times if I were you, and keep an eye on Windows event viewer every now and then to see if it's logging disk errors (like bad sectors). If it is, it's likely a bad drive.

That's a good idea. Well as long as I can back the folder up on my main computer I won't mind in the hdd fails. Haha safety first.

Cheers again