LaunchBox Community Forums

Is it possible to direct games to a different retroarch core?

Cypher

So, after struggling to figure out why retroarch wasn't booting in launchbox, I discovered that when launching the games, they don't use the same exact cores and configurations I set up with retroarch natively beforehand. Considering that certain games respond to different emulators better than others and certain cores provide different features, is it possible to simply have certain games use a different core than what I set as the default? I used bsnes accuracy and would very much like to take advantage of things like overclocking the FX chip for Star Fox for example; something I can't do with what I chose as the default core.

22 minutes ago, Cypher said:

So, after struggling to figure out why retroarch wasn't booting in launchbox, I discovered that when launching the games, they don't use the same exact cores and configurations I set up with retroarch natively beforehand. Considering that certain games respond to different emulators better than others and certain cores provide different features, is it possible to simply have certain games use a different core than what I set as the default? I used bsnes accuracy and would very much like to take advantage of things like overclocking the FX chip for Star Fox for example; something I can't do with what I chose as the default core.

Hi,and welcome to the community.

Bare with me a bit as i'm slightly confused. :) Are you saying that when you launch for example snes games through Launchbox it is using a different core to the one you would like to use? If so that is very easy to change in the associated platforms tab of your retroarch emulator, just go to manage emulators/ Retroarch/ associated platforms tab find the snes line and replace the name of the core there with the one you would like to use.

If you want to change the core just for specific or several games you can right click and edit the game, or use ctrl to highlight several, then right click/edit go to the emulator tab and check the box for custom command line and enter the core in there,it should look like it does in the associated platform tab, for example                           -L  "cores/bsnes_accuracy_libretro.dll".

As for fx chip overclock on the bsnes accuracy core that is not possible, the accuracy core is designed to be as accurate as possible,so lacks any settings at all, it is what it is.

Just now, neil9000 said:

Hi,and welcome to the community.

Bare with me a bit as i'm slightly confused. :) Are you saying that when you launch for example snes games through Launchbox it is using a different core to the one you would like to use? If so that is very easy to change in the associated platforms tab of your retroarch emulator, just go to manage emulators/ Retroarch/ associated platforms tab find the snes line and replace the name of the core there with the one you would like to use.

If you want to change the core just for specific or several games you can right click and edit the game, or use ctrl to highlight several, then right click/edit go to the emulator tab and check the box for custom command line and enter the core in there,it should look like it does in the associated platform tab, for example                           -L  "cores/bsnes_accuracy_libretro.dll".

As for fx chip overclock on the bsnes accuracy core that is not possible, the accuracy core is designed to be as accurate as possible,so lacks any settings at all, it is what it is.

I know bsnes accuracy isn't capable of overclocking; I chose that core at random because I assumed that Launchbox would chose the core at default for games I hadn't yet configured through Retroarch natively instead of applying it across the board.

Thanks for the command line tip, I'll try it out in the afternoon and see if it works.

13 minutes ago, Cypher said:

I know bsnes accuracy isn't capable of overclocking; I chose that core at random because I assumed that Launchbox would chose the core at default for games I hadn't yet configured through Retroarch natively instead of applying it across the board.

Thanks for the command line tip, I'll try it out in the afternoon and see if it works.

The default cores that Launchbox uses are somewhat outdated, i believe the snes one is set to snes9x_next which isn't even available in retroarch anymore, so that associated core will always need to be changed. As i said though if you go to tools/manage emulators double click retroarch and choose the associated platform tab you can see all the default platforms and what core they are using and can edit in there for the whole platform. For changing individual games to use different cores you just right click and edit the actual games and add the core path like you would in the manage emulators screen.