LaunchBox Community Forums

NESPi case

LogicalEgo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/17/2017 at 10:38 PM, mothergoose729 said:

Its on amazon for 25$ right now. I plan to get one. I am going to make a lakka build as a gift for my little brother. 

Nice! Make sure to get this power supply. I had issues with mine, the board that the usb and power buttons run through demands a little more power. This fixed all my power issues.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L8DVOFM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

14 minutes ago, keltoigael said:

Nice! Make sure to get this power supply. I had issues with mine, the board that the usb and power buttons run through demands a little more power. This fixed all my power issues.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L8DVOFM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got a 2.5A power supply and it is working great so far. Only issues I have had is the shoddy wireless, which is just par for the course with the little Pi's. 

Mine works great, and the Pi sits in there snug as a bug. I am spending an inordinate amount of time getting boxart and everything setup. The media you download through Lakka is way to bloated for the slow storage on my Pi, and I don't want to risk data corruption by overclocking the bus. So instead I am poaching my LB image collection, resizing and compressing all the image by hand for what will probably be about 600 games I am loading on it. 

So far so good though. The XMB menus are responsive, and I don't get black images or unexpected crashes :D

It is the 50mhz bus on the SD card that is the bottlneck. The limited memory also doesn't help. I have found that a per image size of 1mb or less is ideal. Anything over 2MB has noticeable load lag, and if you have a bunch of them it can cause the Pi to lock up. 

I set the maximum height on my boxart to 720px, and then resize the width to be proportional. After that I compress the PNG. Square images tend to be the largest, and some of them get up to 1.5mb or so, but it has worked so far in keeping the image sizes manageable even for a fairly large collection. I am getting a bit of a washed out effect on some of the noisier source image  (the ones that go through a high resolution scanner look the worst for it). For the most part they look pretty  decent. When I am finished with the project, I'll upload the my images and playlists for others to use if they want to. 

Edited by mothergoose729

• 2 weeks later...