LaunchBox Community Forums

Retroarch Higan Core Now Available

Lordmonkus

Ok I went through the list of games that used special chips found here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_NES_enhancement_chips and tried all the games I had on the list. I had all the North American and a couple of Japan region games and there were a few games that did not work, those are listed below. All the big name games worked perfectly with the exception of Star Ocean but that was English patched so maybe that was the problem, I don't know because a couple of translation patched roms did work like Dragon Ball Z: Hyper Dimension and Marvelous. I do know that Street Fighter Alpha 2 worked and that used the same chip as Star Ocean. All the other big name games such as Mario RPG, Mario Kart, Pilot Wings, Mega Man X series, the Kirby games, they all worked just fine. So maybe there are some kinks to be worked out in the core but I do know that the roms do not need to be appended and the list of non working games in my opinion is very minor. If this is a problem though it is very easy to just use BSnes or Snes9x with these games or just to stick with either of those cores for now. There really will no perceivable difference in the Higan and BSnes Accuracy cores.

Dungeon Master 
Top Gear 3000
Star Ocean (but Street Fighter Alpha 2 worked)
Lock On
Michael Andretti Indy Car Challenge
Suzuka 8 Hours (glitches out)
Ballz 3D

I am doing some extra testing here right now and replaced Top Gear 3000, Dungeon Master and Lock On with roms from the No-Intro set and they are now working perfectly fine so I think it is fairly safe to say it is a rom issue. I am going to replace my other non working roms and see what happens.

Edit: After replacing all the non working roms listed previously with No-Intro versions and patching a fresh No-Intro Star Ocean they all work perfectly.

Lesson learned here is for maximum compatibility use the No-Intro rom set, anything else may end up with problems, especially the special chip games.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wow that's awesome. SGB loading is so much easier now, I had it set up anyway though but it fixed the broken borders it had in some games that offered their own which where present with the bsnes core.

It's also so much easier to get msu1 games to work now since you don't need the manifest file now.