LaunchBox Community Forums

Retroarch Higan Core Now Available

Lordmonkus

The Higan core is now officially available in the Retroarch Core Updater, be sure to update your core info files first using the updater or the actual core may not be visible in the download list. It is based of the just released 105 build of Higan too so it is hot off the presses fresh.

And just in case you are interested in using this core for Super Gameboy here is a tutorial posted by Hunterk over on the Retroarch forums.

https://forums.libretro.com/t/higan-v105-super-game-boy-bios-tutorial/12676

Note: If you are not using a No-Intro rom set you may run into problems with special chip games, for a list of games that use special chips see this website here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_NES_enhancement_chips

• Thanks 1

Also, the screen appears to be bordered for me with the 4:3 and "core provided" video setting. Is that the new "normal"? Happens with all my games.

EDIT: As extra bordered, with black bars below and above the screen. Bsnes covered the whole screen on the vertical axis.

Edited by alfredolvera

18 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

Play around with the resolution settings in the core options and see if that gets you sorted out. I don't play with bezels and I am playing with integer scale on but a 1440 resolution monitor so I don't notice and extra space but I didn't look either.

I had to play with those settings for a bit, but after smashing my face against my 4K TV and doing everything step by step, I got it filling the entire screen using the SNES Video Test Program. Honestly, I find it pretty weird that some values have to go on the minus side of things, and my Mario Kart ROM loads perfectly with SNES9x and Bsnes, but not with Higan. Maybe this core isn't ready for prime time?59db1f012c135_RetroArchhigan(SuperFamicomAccuracy)10510_9_20171_56_55AM.thumb.png.8fa3aead084e033a6c6ff5605a2795bf.png

This are my settings for 4K res, if anybody wants them.

Edited by alfredolvera

Well of course Mario Kart works in Snes9x, that core does not require the special chip "bios". I have no idea why your special chips work with BSnes but not Higan but obviously you are having some sort of semi isolated issue because those special chip games work perfectly fine for me.

As for the resolution my only guess is that because Higan is virtually 100% cycle accurate it is emulating the SNES so closely that it is just one of the flaws in the BSnes core that no one ever noticed until now.

So, after trying out 3 other Mario Kart ROMs from the Internet, I found one that works with Higan. I find it extremely odd that the one I had worked with bsnes, but not on Higan. Gotta test the rest of my SNES library to test if all my ROMs work with this new core. Hope the improvements and updates are worth the hassle of changing from bsnes to higan!

Edited by alfredolvera

5 minutes ago, Lurkon said:

As of higan v105, co processor firmware has to be appened to the end of the ROM. 

http://higan.readthedocs.io/en/stable/guides/import/

The documentation tells you how to do this.

That's if you are using the stand alone and how it functions with its Icarus importer but it is not necessary with the RA core version because it loads the roms straight up.

I can honestly say that this theory is 100% untrue because I am loading my special chip games without any issues and all I have is the special chip dumps in my \system folder like any other bios file.

37 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

That's if you are using the stand alone and how it functions with its Icarus importer but it is not necessary with the RA core version because it loads the roms straight up.

I can honestly say that this theory is 100% untrue because I am loading my special chip games without any issues and all I have is the special chip dumps in my \system folder like any other bios file.

Well... then I don't know what happened. Maybe I just had a bad Mario Kart dump. I already tested all the Mega Man X, Star Fox 1 & 2, even Top Gear 3000, they load with no issues. I just find it funny that my bad dump worked fine with bsnes xD

Edited by alfredolvera