LaunchBox Community Forums

Changing your Licensed to name

thiama

I tried contacting the mods personally but never got any reply back. When I bought premium I didn't know my name would show up at the top of the screen. I used my then legal name which is no longer my legal name. I changed names because I hated my old name and having it there makes me not want to open launchbox or downgrade to the free version. Is there no way to hide the name or to get it changed? 

P.S you really should inform people of that their name will show up next to the software name when you charge us for it.

Thanks

Unfortunately the name that the software is licensed to is there for a reason. As the there is no DRM in Launchbox it is the best way to handle licensing as we can block specific licenses if it is shared around. This is your first post here so I am not sure how you tried to contact any mods. Names are never usually changed but you can try asking at support@unbrokensoftware.com.

I sent them private messages and I've contacted support. I read that there has been exceptions to that rule before. I can just ask for my money back if it's not possible. I don't see why you can't just have the name hidden somewhere in the about or whatever so that you can find it if you want or you can just inform people that their name will be constantly displayed. It makes it hard to recommend this product since it makes it difficult for streamers who don't want their real full name seen either. I don't know it just seems like bad common sense.

But thank you very much for the reply and hope you both have great days

You can ask for a refund with an email to support@unbrokensoftware.com and like @neil9000 said there have been exceptions in the past where name changes have been allowed for streaming and youtube.

But I think you saying it makes it difficult to recommend the software or bad common sense because it shows the persons name is more than a bit hyperbolic.

It's there for a reason, it makes it easier to prevent license sharing and to verify a license is legitimate.

Will do, thanks.
I don't know tho I don't see that in other software without DRM very often. If it's a countermeasure to license theft then ofcourse it's a legitimate reason but as a preemptive approach it seems rather excessive. I'm also fine with things being informed pre-purchase then I could have waited till my name change went through before I bought the product. So I'm quite angry and out of patience which may influence the harshness of my opinion. The private messages I wrote to the mods still say "Not-yet-read" and they're from June when I was still optimistic about it all. 

So I'm sorry and thanks for pointing me towards support.

Send an email to support@unbrokensoftware.com that will get seen and addressed much faster than personal message, or use the License Support under the Help & Support at the top of the website.59e3b01864891_2017-10-1514_59_26-ChangingyourLicensedtoname-Troubleshooting-LaunchBoxCommunityForums.png.cd4637626becdb6c41f0df38fc4b9fcf.png

It is a different form of DRM, one that does not interfere with the end users ability to use it on as many systems as they like but at the same time protecting from mass license sharing as much as it can. We have had instances in the past where people have shared their license and it was then blacklisted and blocked from updating.