LaunchBox Community Forums

Best way to run Demul

johnnyskullhead

Yeah there are two options in demul old and new, the old allows you to raise the internal resolution which the newer one doesn't. This will of course make your games look better if you raise the rendering resolution internally but you will need more horsepower in your system to do so, The newer one uses the default Dreamcast resolution so is the more accurate of the two modes and is less power hungry than upscaling the resolution. So really it's personal preference and whether or not your system can handle the higher resolutions.

Since the topic is "best way to run Demul" I actually had a question since no matter what I can't seem to get games to run smoothly on my hi-end PC.  I'm fine (for the most part) with using my current main (lower end) laptop, but I'm going to be getting myself a custom Multicade cabinet for launchbox and so I am wanting to use my higher end gaming laptop since I need my main laptop for daily use/school.  My main PC (that I have been using for emulation up to now) has the following specs:

Processor: Intel Core i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.4GHz

RAM: 16 GB

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT 740M and running DirectX 12

It generally runs games great, MAME works fine with absolutely no issues and many of the Demul games I play don't really have issues (even runs Dolphin Blue with no real issues).

I copied my emulators to my high-end PC by simply taking the Launchbox, MAME and DEMUL folders and moving them over to my new PC.  Launchbox/Bigbox works fine with no issues and everything else runs as expected for the most part. I changed over all the rom paths to reflect its new location and while the old PC ran great, my high-end PC runs games from Demul specifically like total garbage, and I have no idea why.  Every game runs far under 60fps (runs more like if I do power saving mode on my other PC.., even on High Power) and have terrible lag and audio glitching. I was wondering if there are any special settings I could try to fix this.  I've tried messing with the Nvidia control panel settings for Demul to no avail. Additionally, when I mess around in MAME interface, the entire computer bricks and needs a hard reset... The specs for this high-end PC are as follows:

Processor: Intel Core i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.8GHz

RAM: 32GB

GPU: GeForce GTX 1070 with Max-Q Design and DirectX 12

This thing is freaking VR-ready, runs DOOM maxed, and generally kicks ass, but I swear these emulators are kicking it to the curb at them moment... :/

Update: I actually got MAME fixed.  It seems like the problem was that I told it to use my GPU, which I actually recall people saying was bad now that I think back since it apparently only uses CPU for processing. I changed it back to "Integrated Graphics" and MAME at least now works fine.  Did the same with Demul and this mostly fixed performance, although it is still a bit more laggy than the other PC is by a noticeable margin..

On 12/7/2017 at 1:42 PM, neil9000 said:

Yeah there are two options in demul old and new, the old allows you to raise the internal resolution which the newer one doesn't. This will of course make your games look better if you raise the rendering resolution internally but you will need more horsepower in your system to do so, The newer one uses the default Dreamcast resolution so is the more accurate of the two modes and is less power hungry than upscaling the resolution. So really it's personal preference and whether or not your system can handle the higher resolutions.

Cheers