LaunchBox Community Forums

Strange big box wont run error and will not update after copying to external HDD

Eldith

I have just copied my LB collection to a usb3 ssd external hdd as I'm taking it with me to families as they want to play some old games and sutch xmas day and new years.

Launchbox runs fine but will not update and big box will not run and they both give the same error. ( I cant seem to find it on the forum from searching)

aa347c493cbf02da9481b71459df9d79.png

6 minutes ago, ckp said:

did you try to double click launchbox.exe and bigbox.exe directly from the exe files inside your usb Launchbox folder? or maybe you are using now invalid shortcuts to launch?

Hi Ckp,

I am using the the exes from the usb folder to launch the launchbox.exe works fine and I can run games from this and all details are correct I just get the error when trying to run bigbox.exe (which is the main thing I want working)

9 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

Where is your Launchbox folder located? Has anything changed since your initial install?

Hi Zombeaver,

Just to reaffirm this isn't the original install location this is the full current install copied across to a external usb3 drive done by following the offical LB guide.

Im just cant seem to run big box.

2 minutes ago, ckp said:

How, exactly are you trying to run BB? I can move my "installed" LB folder to any drive and still launch BB.

I've tried running it straight from the big box mode button from within LB and via the exe in the LB folder. I've also tried it on three different machines (Original pc, gaming laptop, and spare desktop) with the same error appearing.

Have you tried rolling back the install? There should be an updates folder inside your Launchbox folder that has the installers for all the previous versions you've installed. You can just overwrite your current install with a previous one. If it works, you could then update. It's weird that it's not working on even the original PC.

if you're interested in trying this test, you could rename BigBoxSettings.xml inside the Launchbox\Data folder to something like BigBoxSettingsTEST.xml, and then try to launch bigbox.exe from the exe file. Just curious if it will launch then. if it still doesn't work, you can just rename it back to original.

3 minutes ago, ckp said:

if you're interested in trying this test, you could rename BigBoxSettings.xml inside the Launchbox\Data folder to something like BigBoxSettingsTEST.xml, and then try to launch bigbox.exe from the exe file. Just curious if it will launch then. if it still doesn't work, you can just rename it back to original.

11 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

Have you tried rolling back the install? There should be an updates folder inside your Launchbox folder that has the installers for all the previous versions you've installed. You can just overwrite your current install with a previous one. If it works, you could then update. It's weird that it's not working on even the original PC.

Right ok thanks for both of your help (wasn't what you said but helped me get closer to the solving it lol),

I have managed to solve it by doing the following which was odd.

So first i updated the current install on the main pc, and copied the base install files across to the usb drive this got rid of the first error message.

Then it just kept freezing on the BIG BOX loading logo. Did some checking and it looks like the custom Startup.mp4 that I had had corrupted in the copy across I replaced the file and now big box seems to be running fine.