LaunchBox Community Forums

Question About Installing To And Using Google Drive

TheProdigyTM

Hey all!

First off id like to say I frikin LOVE Launchbox. Such an amazing program and am about to buy a license once I get everything set up and running.

I have a couple of questions about running and using this fine program from google drive.

I know the program itself is portable and can be run from dropbox or any other drive online but I'm more curious if I can use MY collection from MY pc when I run it via the cloud? I work A LOT out of town and have a decent laptop from work that I use (Dell XPS 15) but CANNOT have any foreign programs or drives plugged in for security reasons and would LOVE to be able to use my collection while on the road. I've got so many games from when I was a kid and would fricken love to play with co-workers on trips.

if this isn't possible I'll bite the bullet and get a personal laptop but figured id ask here first!

Thanks!!

Do you have any cloud storage application installed on the laptop as of now, such as Google Drive Sync?

If so, there's no problem, but depending on your collection (and cloud storage plan) you may run out of storage space very quickly !
But of course, older games take up much less space than newer games :)

There are also some dependencies that needs to be installed on the computer, such as .NET 4.7.1 and the Visual C++ Redistributable (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, anyone).
Some emulators need these also, not just LaunchBox. Newer emulators also need DirectX to play well.

But I don't think you can run it from the browser version of Google Drive, if that's what you're asking.

4 minutes ago, proghodet said:

Do you have any cloud storage application installed on the laptop as of now, such as Google Drive Sync?

If so, there's no problem, but depending on your collection (and cloud storage plan) you may run out of storage space very quickly !
But of course, older games take up much less space than newer games :)

There are also some dependencies that needs to be installed on the computer, such as .NET 4.7.1 and the Visual C++ Redistributable (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, anyone).
Some emulators need these also, not just LaunchBox. Newer emulators also need DirectX to play well.

But I don't think you can run it from the browser version of Google Drive, if that's what you're asking.

Thanks for the quick reply! 

I currently have Google Drive Sync installed as well as Mega Sync installed on my work laptop as those are the ones we use with work but what I was wondering do I have to copy all of my roms to the cloud to be able to play them off my main pc at home?

Im just confused as to how Launchbox handles being in the cloud and running from a different pc.

Does it still grab from the original file locations on my home pc and just run the program over the cloud? Or does it depend on the files being present with the program? I just haven't had a chance to test this out yet and was wondering if anyone has already. 

Thanks again for your help!

Yes, you would need to copy your LaunchBox folder, and the emulators and roms you would like to have accessible in the cloud, in order to play them both places. LaunchBox should use relative filepaths, meaning that it reads directories based on its own directory, not whether its on this or that actual harddrive.

This is a video (made by the launchbox team) about making a portable version for a USB-stick, but you can just apply the same steps and put it in your cloud instead :)
If you follow the video, I would download a newer version of .NET, but that's it :)

Edited by proghodet

• 2 months later...

Hi, i'm also trying to setup something like this for the media center i have on the living room. Using GDrive will surely ease the burden of having to copy the files over, however i'm a bit reluctant to give it a shot because of a possible soft-ban from google's services. Could this get you the 24h ban for too many api requests? I don't use Plex myself but i've read online that this is quite common when using the 2 simultaneously. My LB library isn't too much extensive but having the emulators run from gdrive plus the scraping of media files is something that i'm a bit apprehensive about...