LaunchBox Community Forums

Will theses specs run PS2, Wii, GC, Saturn, DC?

Light Sock

Hi, one of my friend wants to exchange me my PS1, PS2 and PS3 and all my games for his old gaming computer.

It's outdated for today's gaming but I think that it's a good exchange for me to get a good emulation machine. I just want to verify the specs with you.

Processor i5 3.5ghz 4 core
Ram 8GB
SSD HDD
GPU GTX 550 and a GTX 760 (I guess I canno't SLI different cards so I'll have to use just one)

I want to emulate up to PS2, Wii, Gamecube, Saturn, Dreamcast, PSX, etc.

Will this work?

Thanks for your help!

well you would need to really know what specific i5 it is if its a 1st gen chip compared to a 8th gen chip it would be a huge difference if its at least 3rd gen or up I would say it will probably do what you want and I would suggest getting that 760 from him instead of the 550

3 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

well you would need to really know what specific i5 it is if its a 1st gen chip compared to a 8th gen chip it would be a huge difference if its at least 3rd gen or up I would say it will probably do what you want and I would suggest getting that 760 from him instead of the 550

It's a i5 4670K 4th generation I think. And I'll have both graphic cards.

Will it work for my needs?

It's should be more than enough for PS2, Wii, GC and DC.

It's just about right and even a bit more than enough for Saturn which is a pretty CPU intensive CPU but you will be fine.

PS3 is the big question mark because it's such an early in development and very reliant upon speed hacks so it's difficult to say exactly how well that will perform.

Just now, Lordmonkus said:

It's should be more than enough for PS2, Wii, GC and DC.

It's just about right and even a bit more than enough for Saturn which is a pretty CPU intensive CPU but you will be fine.

PS3 is the big question mark because it's such an early in development and very reliant upon speed hacks so it's difficult to say exactly how well that will perform.

Thanks for your answer! I'll have to try for the PS3. But I guess time go and emulators will be improved.

Yeah it needs time to develop and mature. it's always tough to judge emulators in their early development stages which is exactly what RPCS3 is at this point in time.

Consider for a moment PCSX2 while it's "good" is a very "hacky" emulator and depending on your point of view is either very good or very poor.

Saturn while it's the oldest system on your list only god what people consider "very good" emulation a little over a year ago.

GC and Wii arguably has the "best" emulator of the bunch with Dolphin though Mednafen for Saturn is pretty damn good now.

In comparison RPCS3 is in it's infancy still but it certainly is very impressive how far it has come in such a short time.

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, Demul is a very capable emulator and is "pretty good" overall, you will be able to play most if not all games with very little issues. I was just saying in comparison to Mednafen, Dolphin and PCSX2 it's just not up the same level of quality in comparison but those other systems have a lot more devs working on them.

• Like 1