LaunchBox Community Forums

Fallout MS-DOS Install Too Large

Wafflermaximus01

Hello LaunchBox Community,

I am having a problem with the installation of an MS-DOS game called Fallout into LaunchBox. The problem, from what I can tell, is due to DosBox's emulated C: drive not having enough space to install the largest install of the game. It appears that the default disk space is around 260mb where the largest install for the game is around 645mb. I know there are ways to fix this by using DosBox manually, however I could not find a way to expand the disk space while using DosBox through LaunchBox. I have attached a screenshot of the DOS installer showing the "No Drives Available" error when the "HUMONGOUS INSTALLATION" is selected. Any help or advice is be appreciated.

Thank You

Capture.PNG

You'll probably need to use the -freesize switch. I actually don't have the original Fallout in my library so I'll install it and get back to you.

I generally recommend installing games through DOSBox prior to importing them into LB. Generally you don't have to do that, but it can help avoid some hiccups.

Okay, thank you.

I do remember coming across the -freesize command(?) in my searches, however I was unable to apply it to the DOSBox Config menu in LB because LB auto mounts the drives. That's where I got stuck.

I honestly know little to nothing on how DOSBox works, so as far as installing a game manually I'm most likely too incompetent to make anything work... ;)

1 minute ago, Wafflermaximus01 said:

I honestly know little to nothing on how DOSBox works, so as far as installing a game manually I'm most likely too incompetent to make anything work... ;)

It's really not that bad once you get the hang of it, I promise. Coming to grips with how mounting works and knowledge of literally a handful of DOSBox commands and you're pretty much good to go.

Take a look at this post and the video in it to see an example of what I mean. The only difference would be that in the part with "mount c blahblahblah" you'd add something like -freesize 1024 at the end of that line. I'm going to install Fallout to confirm, but that should take care of it.

Alright, so I've fallowed your tutorial up to the install portion. All seems to be going well, however, with the last command you entered "install." I'm assuming that that was the name of the file to run the installer for the game you installed as an example. With Fallout though, there are two install files, but they have different file extensions, .exe and .dat. I'm gonna go out on a whim that the exe file is what I need, however, when I entered "install.exe" DOSBox froze up.  

Yep, using a switch of -freesize 1024 took care of it.

1) Start DOSbox (you can right-click on a DOS game in Launchbox and click on "Open DOSbox..." or open DOSBox via Launchbox\DOSBox\DOSBox.exe)
2) Type the following (obviously using the actual path you want to use):
     mount c "path\where\you\want\to\install\" -freesize 1024
     imgmount d "path\to\fallout.iso" -t iso
     D:
     dir /p
     install

I'll use my own paths as an example:
     mount c "X:\Emulation\DOS\Fallout"
     imgmount d "X:\Emulation\DOS\Fallout\Disc Image\Fallout.cue" -t iso
     D:
     dir /p
     install

3) Complete the setup process through the installer
    note: since I created a Fallout folder in my DOS folder prior to installing, and specify it in the intitial mount c path, I backed the install path up to just "\" because this will install it directly into that Fallout folder:
image.thumb.png.9c1757a308b32aba8325fd6d06a01e8f.pngimage.thumb.png.2a327889a3f871ca3edb57f055a4ee66.png4) Exit DOSBox
5) Import Fallout into Launchbox
     Make sure "Fallout.exe" is set as the start .exe in Launchbox and that the disc image is listed in the mounts tab.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wafflermaximus01 said:

Alright, so I've fallowed your tutorial up to the install portion. All seems to be going well, however, with the last command you entered "install." I'm assuming that that was the name of the file to run the installer for the game you installed as an example. With Fallout though, there are two install files, but they have different file extensions, .exe and .dat. I'm gonna go out on a whim that the exe file is what I need, however, when I entered "install.exe" DOSBox froze up.  

You don't need to specify the extension, just type "install"