LaunchBox Community Forums

New User

Mat1926

The last time I played with emulators was back in 2007. At that time I joined that pleasure place and got myself a lot of stuff and built a nice buffer. Few days ago I thought of going back, and actually I did grab more new stuff -the whole new MAME set, even that 1.8 TB one- . I did hear about LaunchBox before but I never used it, so few days ago I downloaded a copy and also paid for lifetime support even w/o trying/testing it...

Since my knowledge is severely dated I have questions...

It seems to me the old Amiga sets -e.g. ADF- disappeared, what is the story?

I never used MESS, but now it is within MAME, is it better at emulating retro hardware than the old independent emulators? is it capable of emulating TOSEC and No-Intro sets?

Does LaunchBox support MAME?

I see two different DOS sets, what is the difference between the two?

Thnx

Hi and welcome, I will answer the questions I can.

6 minutes ago, Mat1926 said:

It seems to me the old Amiga sets -e.g. ADF- disappeared, what is the story?

No idea, I use the FS-UAE emulator with WHDload files.

6 minutes ago, Mat1926 said:

I never used MESS, but now it is within MAME, is it better at emulating retro hardware than the old independent emulators?

No, for the more common stuff stand alone emulators and Retroarch are best. I prefer Retroarch. Mame is very good at some of the lesser emulated stuff though when the stand alone options are very limited and not very user friendly.

8 minutes ago, Mat1926 said:

Does LaunchBox support MAME?

Yes and pretty much anything you can throw at it as long as it supports command line loading. Things can get problematic if something requires you to go through a UI and has no command line support. Fortunately that is extremely rare and I can't think of anything off the top of my head that does this and doesn't have a better emulator available.

10 minutes ago, Mat1926 said:

I see two different DOS sets, what is the difference between the two?

No idea, DOS is something I only dabble in, I am sure someone will be able to give you a better option.

Welcome back to the emulation scene! MAME is certainly the best option for arcade games of course, along with many of the more 'obscure' but decent systems that don't get much coverage and attention such as Bally Astrocade, Fairchild Channel F, along with many of the classic computer systems, most of which I've never heard of :) However, for most of your emulation needs, Retroarch is probably the best choice, and for the newer consoles (Dreamcast, Gamecube, PlayStation 2, etc.) stand-alone emulators (Dolphin, PCSX2, etc.) are the best way to go. Have fun!