Launchbox crashes when installed on E:

On_fire

I am running Windows 10 (64 bit) and have the following drives:

C:\ - 120 GB SSD - OS Only
E:\ -   3 TB HDD - Programs
F:\ -   2 TB HDD - Data

I tried installing LaunchBox 8.1 into

E:\Program Files (x86)\LaunchBox

and it would crash every time as soon as it opened. So, I installed it in the default location (C:\users), and it worked fine.

Then I tried moving the working installation to:

E:\LaunchBox

and it broke again.
So I moved the same installation to

C:\LaunchBox

and it started working again. Then I moved it to

F:\LaunchBox

and it's still working... Any idea why it just refuses to run on E:\?

Also, the Logs folder is empty, so I don't really know what other relevant information I can provide, let me know if I've missed something,,, (I'm sure I probably have, lol.)

UPDATE: I deleted the copy from 

C:\LaunchBox

And my working copy in:

F:\LaunchBox

Stopped working... I feel like something is hardcoded to C:\ but the weird thing is it works in 2 separate folders on C:\ just fine... Also, I tried looking in Settings.xml for "C:" and wasn't able to find anything...

UPDATE 2: I was able to get it working by making a hard link from C:\LaunchBox to E:\LaunchBox by running the following command in an elevated command prompt:

mklink /J C:\LaunchBox E:\LaunchBox

The weird thing is that the Start Menu shortcut has to point to the actual copy (E:\LaunchBox), if it is pointed to C:\LaunchBox, it crashes as if it was launched without the link in place...

Still not sure if this is a bug, or something REALLY weird with my computer...

Edited by On_fire
Clarity

• On_fire changed the title to Launchbox crashes when installed on E:

@On_fire I cannot provide help as to what is causing this, but I am sure one of our more resident genius members will chime in. I can only confirm I am able to use Launchbox on D:, F: , and G: drives on my machines so I am not sure it would be anything hardcoded to C drives. E: drive for me on my machines always houses roms. So I have never really had it on that drive. 

After inheriting a system using Hyperspin/RL over a year ago, I bought LB and have spent a couple of weeks porting stuff out to LB.  This included moving LB from C to another drive (E:) and then having so much fun doing all this, I moved LB again to an 8tb hd (also configured it as E:), and it hasn't crashed at all.  In fact, I was skeptical about how portable LB was (after dealing with HS & RL) but I couldn't be more happy with it.  So this is to give you encouragement and to keep tinkering with it because the portability does work!

• Like 1