LaunchBox Community Forums

Menus and platform font giant in LB, and BB barely moving since connecting 4k TV

ckp

Hoping @Jason Carr or someone has a suggestion here.

So, my Win 10 HTPC has always been connected to my 51" 1080p TV and no issues at all. Win 10 is set to 1920x1080 60Hz with 100% scaling. LB and BB  work great.

I just upgraded my TV to 60" 4k. Win 10 is set to the 4k resolution at 60Hz.

Since the win 10 desktop is so small with 4k resolution, I have set win 10 display settings scaling to 200%. This makes the size of things look more like 1080p size.

However, now my LB comes up with giant menus that don't even all fit with LB maximized, my game images got small, my platform list got super giant and unreadable.

Worse than that, Bigbox is now almost unusable and barely moving (emulators seem fine). BB screen rate is indeed 60 as is my win 10 monitor refresh rate.

Is there any possible solution short of setting win 10 to 100% scaling and not being able to read the desktop stuff? I haven't tried setting to 100% but I'm guessing it will fix LB/BB possibly. I remember I tried setting 150 or 200% on my 1080p TV before and had similar trouble, so went back to 100% which is tolerable on 1080p.

3 hours ago, Rincewind said:

Have you tried different themes, I think there is a couple that work better on 4k monitors. 

You mean if I am using 4k resolution with scaling? I haven't. Do you know of any in particular that work better on 4K resolution? Of course, that won't fix the LB scaling issue.

Edit: right now I'm using Minimal-AO

Edited by ckp

Glad to report that the scaling issue is now fixed! I was running win 10 1703, so I updated to latest 1709 AND to latest nvidia video driver. 

No more scaling issues in LB with win 10 set for 4k resolution and 200% scaling. Sweet.

Only problem now is the platform and game wheels scroll pretty slow with stuttering, but it was never great in the first place on this box even though it's a pretty strong box.