LaunchBox Community Forums

New To Launchbox

citycentrefox

Greetings All

After trying a few emulator front ends I have decided that I am going to stick with Launchbox.  I tried Hyperspin/Rocketlauncher which I found more complicated than it needed to be.  Also it wouldn't find any of my ROMS due to the naming issues. Wasn't going to rename ROMS so a program can find them.  They should automatically launch from a ROMS folder....

I tried Emulationstation and found this to be more user friendly and setting up was a lot easier once you understand the command lines....YouTube beckoned and was a great help.  Big shout to Simply Austin.  Yes he waffles but he is very informative.  I learnt a lot from this guy.

I found out though that ES wasn't saving my PS1 games....

In both programs I was using Retroarch 1.7.1 as a main emulator.  However I was never able to use any of the PSX or WinVice cores.  They just wouldn't load.  I tried updating them, inserting BIOS files but nothing worked. This was disappointing as I do like the onscreen borders that Retroarch applies. So I use ePSXe, ePXS2 and XVic instead.  No borders though...

I will be buying Big Box when funds allow.

I do have one question though....Does anybody know how to get Retroarch to load cores.  Mine doesn't load all Atari cores apart from the 7800 one, all WinVice and all PS1 cores. I have tried scanning for games....Made no difference.  I tried installing Bios.....No change.  Am  I just going to have to bite the bullet and use separate emu's for these programs?  I ask this because I would like borders if possible.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Rgds

Hi and welcome to the community. :) 

Retroarch works just fine in Launchbox, and a lot of us here will recommend it for use with launchbox. All you need to do is add Retroarch as a emulator like any other in Tools/Manage emulators.

5aa7b9f4c541d_Screenshot(380).thumb.png.1f0bb1a2e3f4e5a86972bacc0914ca8e.png

Then you will see three tabs at the top there, click on the associated platforms tab, this is where you specify the cores for the specific platform.

5aa7b9fd7d278_Screenshot(381).thumb.png.e4cde13199567f76a2c5075f70e54722.png

The name of the system here has to match exactly what the platform is called within Launchbox itself for it to work correctly. There are a lot of platforms pre filled there but it is not always the best core to use, so just edit any platform to say the core name you want to use.

Any other questions just ask.

Thank you both for your replies.  

I do have everything in Launchbox working.  To get borders working for each emulator ie Sega I renamed them Genesis_Gen for Genesis, _MS for master system and so on.  Also I put in an extra comand line with each emulator default platform so it loads the settings for borders an so on.  I have had both fun and despair in equal measure learning all this!  It's just the Retroarch PS1 and Winvice cores that are bugging me!  I suppose i am a completist on these matters but if i can't sort it, no matter.

4 minutes ago, citycentrefox said:

Thank you both for your replies.  

I do have everything in Launchbox working.  To get borders working for each emulator ie Sega I renamed them Genesis_Gen for Genesis, _MS for master system and so on.  Also I put in an extra comand line with each emulator default platform so it loads the settings for borders an so on.  I have had both fun and despair in equal measure learning all this!  It's just the Retroarch PS1 and Winvice cores that are bugging me!  I suppose i am a completist on these matters but if i can't sort it, no matter.

The playstation emulator works just fine, I cant speak to winvice as I have never used that myself. You say you have the bios for PS1, is it in your retroarch/system folder? Also is it named correctly? I f you load the core in retroarch and go to core information it will tell you the bios it is looking for and weather or not it is present.

Screenshot (382).png

For PS1 you just need to make sure you have the correct bios in the \system folder of your Retroarch structure. There are several out there SCPH1001.bin (I think this is the older PSX bios), SCPH5500.bin, SCPH5501.bin, SCPH5502.bin you need the correct one for your roms.

Again thank you for the replies.

My retroarch doesn't even load the core.  I have placed my bios files in the system folder, told retroarch where the bios folder is but no avail.  I notice that Neil9000's screen shot shows the core loaded and therefore can point retroarch to the BIOS folder. I update the core, then i try to load it and nothing happens.  It still says no core.  If I go to another core for another system like genesis_plus_gx_libretro.dll it loads and shows at the bottom.

Also this happens on 2 PC's that i have tried it on.

Yes I do.  It also shows up in my list of cores available for launch in Retroarch.  I deleted them and re downloaded them just in case of possible corruption within Retroarch.

I have pcsx_rearmed_libretro.dll, mednafen_psx_hw_libretro.dll & mednafen_psx_libretro.dll in the cores folder.  I also have SCPH5500.BIN, SCPH5501.bin and SCPH5502.BIN in the system folder.  None of them load.

Hmm, I'm really not sure what to suggest at this point. I have never seen Retroarch not load a core by itself through the retroarch UI, you should be able to load any core you have downloaded to your system from there, regardless of if it actually loads games or not.

2 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

I would download a new RA and put it in a different folder. then download only the Playstation core, copy your bios into that folders \system folder and test. If it works well then you know something is corrupt in the original folder. 

Yeah was about to suggest the same.