LaunchBox Community Forums

Intel NUC for cabinet

DerHof2007

1 hour ago, NJDave71 said:

What are you trying to accomplish?

I just wanted to upgrade the pc in my cabinet. Was going to just upgrade a couple components but thought one of the NUC's would be cool. My problem isn't with the NUC its with Win10.
I'm not the type that likes to be controlled... especially when I pay for something. I not naive... I know their is no total control with any of todays tech but Win10 is an abortion. Telemetry, forced updates, forced software like Cortana, One Drive, X-box... I shouldn't have to jump through hoops and watch 20 youtube videos to try and get rid of things I don't like or want... because even if you successfully disable/delete stuff they can sneak it back in with the next update.
Going to just upgrade and stick with Win7 like I said... and start learning Linux as well.

in the next few days i am upgrading my MOBO, CPU and RAM and plan to reinstall windows 10.   The machine is a dedicated arcade cab and runs windows 10 64.  I have an account that launches BigBox and doesn't launch the windows UI (explorer.exe).   I have had no issues with running windows 10.  

The upgrade is to help improve the speed and performance of the machine.

I would suggest you look into windows 10 in KIOSK mode if my previous suggestion didn't work for you.

Edited by NJDave71

2 minutes ago, NJDave71 said:

in the next few days i am upgrading my MOBO, CPU and RAM and plan to reinstall windows 10.   The machine is a dedicated arcade cab and runs windows 10 64.  I have an account that launches BigBox and doesn't launch the windows UI (explorer.exe).   I have had no issues with running windows 10.  

The upgrade is to help improve the speed and performance of the machine.

I would suggest you look into windows 10 in KIOSK mode if my previous suggested didn't work for you.

Well, let me ask you this since you mention performance...
I'll be using BB primarily for MAME and C64... will some minor ScummVM, SNES, NES, Astrocade. Most likely nothing else.
Once I finish setting everything up over the next week or two I don't really plan on touching it again... as in not even updating LB. For my needs its already fully functional and I'd rather spend more time playing games than tinkering with it. I spend enough time on other hobbies...
So my point is... since I see no issues with how this runs now on Win7... what enhancements would I see if I bit the bullet and ran Win10?