LaunchBox Community Forums

4k monitor and second 1080p Monitor wont show marquee

unknownclient

I am running two monitors in my setup. I have a acer 4k monitor as my main screen and a 1080p monitor as my marquee. If I select a resolution of 4k for my main monitor my marquee will show a black screen. If I change my resolution to 2k on my main monitor, my second monitor WILL show the marquees. I am using a nvidia 980GTX for my primary monitor and the HDMI output on my motherboard to drive my marquee screen. I have not yet tried to run the second monitor (marquee monitor) off of my dedicated graphics card yet.

I know you said you have not connected both to the GPU yet but I would try it and see if you get the same affect. It should be easier to control resolution issues that way. That GPU can handle multiple monitors easily. I know the few times I had to do it the way you have, due to the connection ports on the GPU and the monitors did not allow me to connect both to the GPU, I had random issues with certain games. 

Ok I tested this in the following manner.

1. Display port cable connected to primary monitor from Primary graphics card set at 4k resolution

2. Secondary monitor connected to HDMI port on mother board. 

3. Ran big box and secondary monitor does not display marquee.

4. Closed big box

Second attempt with same cables pluged into the same ports

1. Ran big box and went into option, changed second screen to none

2. exited out of options

3. went back to main selection screen to see games.

4 exited back to the menu

5. selected options and choose second screen as screen two.

6. back to game selection and marquees still dont work.

3rd attempt with same cables and same ports connected

1. At windows desktop selected 2k resolution for primary monitor

2. Launched big box

3. choose game

4. now my marquee works

4th attempt, changed hdmi cable from motherboard output to primary graphics card output.

1st and 2nd attempt from above provide the same results when secondary monitor is plugged into my primary graphics card. I can only get my secondary monitor to display marquees if my primary monitor is set to 2k resolution. 

SOOOO, this sounds like a scaling issue with big box. As Using the output from my mother board vs my primary graphics card should be using different drivers? Or is this an issue with windows display manager? I am using windows 10 pro. I can copy and past any log files if that will help. Is anyone else running their primary monitor at 4k resolution?

I am kind of bummed out I can't run my new monitor at 4k. I spent 800 dollars on a monitor and 450 dollars on a overpriced gtx980 to run hlsl and a config I got here on the forums. I wanted to re-create the crt look on a super high resolution monitor. 8k and 15k is right around the corner for pc monitors. I am about to do something drastic and re-install my operating system. I am going to install windows 10 to see if the problem persists across operating systems. Please stop me if you have any other suggestions, or if I should file a bug report. I am on a deadline to get these things working by April 14th for a Birthday party.

Edited by unknownclient

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I realise this is a little old but I have this same problem now with both the latest official and beta builds.  I also found a work around to the issue. First of all the settings in compatibility mode don't appear to make any difference either way but for the purpose of this report I have them set as suggested above. If I'm running 4k and scaling is set to 200% I will not see the marquees. If I set scaling to 150% then the marquees magically work again. This seems at odds to the disabling of the scaling in the compatibility options. But regardless I can get 4k to work only with 150% scaling. It would be nice to see a fix for this though because 150% scaling is too small for my normal use of the PC so at the moment I have to keep changing it before running BigBox.  Hope this helps and hopefully it can be resolved in a future release.