LaunchBox Community Forums

Steam Trash Games

CliveBarker

Hey everyone, I have started to retake some moderation at the LB Games Database and I have one big question:

How do you deal with the avalanche of trash and asset flip games that Steam has been accepting since last year?

There are thousands of them and honestly, I kinda feel dirty adding them to this database since in my opinion they are worthless, even from an artistic and historical point of view.

Of course the problem comes with subjectivity. How each one determine what is trash, everyone has their own standards. Wanted to hear some opinions or official stance about this.

I think the same could be said about consoles and home computers. There is trash on every system. Nevertheless, I know what you mean.

For the sake of completion, I would rather see a lot of asset flips in the database than losing some quirky and creative games in the process. Asset flipping has become part of our gaming culture. For indie developers as well as AAA-developers.

11 hours ago, Scriven said:

I would rather see a lot of asset flips in the database than losing some quirky and creative games in the process. Asset flipping has become part of our gaming culture. For indie developers as well as AAA-developers.

That is what bothers me the most, Indie devs who poured dedication and love into their projects getting drowned by all the trash. I guess Steam isn't a good place to publish your first Indie games anymore unless you have a ton of money to market your game. Guess I will just accept them if I found them at the moderation queue. At least I haven't found many of such submissions.

Not sure about the timeframe, but you may have ran across some of my submissions.  I recently went through my entire Steam/GOG/Origin/etc library and ensured there was an entry for every item I had.

I had to take a few showers in between, but it's not like we're a store-front for what games to play, that would turn-off would-be customers, we're hosting a collection DB.  I'm not sure about others, but I like my library scanning to be correct and complete.

Unfortunately, that gums-up all the time of all the people moderating the DB.  Thankfully, my personal Windows import was complete about 2 weeks ago.

(I've got lots of work to do...)

But I gotta take another shower 1st...

That's great. Thanks. I am still about 1,800 games short of a complete import. I have acquired a list of games directly from Steam but it will take some time to get them into the database. A scraper for Steam would be awesome or a direct one time transfer from Steam directly to the database of all games. With updates every 3 or 6 months.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Some of my games are a bit... uh... questionable, too. :D

I hear you. I at least try and make sure anything interesting gets an entry, or any Steam games I purchase, but it's a massive uphill battle. At least with Steam games Launchbox automatically imports the Steam banner and Trailer, so there's something there when they get added.