LaunchBox Community Forums

F710/Steam/DS4? Controller feedback for members

mthompson239

Short of using my cabinet buttons/servo-stixs/gyro/trackball for Mame and Pinball X3, need a solution for all other emulators...NES/SNES/Genesis/PS1/PS2/PS3.  Rather only have 2 controllers in total for my 2 player setup if possible. 

Wireless with either a docking station or connect via microUSB to charge would be best in my case.

Was looking at:

Steam controller

Logitech F710.   

DS4 and DS4Windows

https://xpadder.com/?lang=english&country=US ?

Open to suggestions.  Much thanks in advance :)

I have a Logitech F710 wireless which I use on my HTPC setup and it's an ok controller but it's also not great. The shape and size of it is nice, the buttons are good and responsive. Its flaws are in the analog sticks and d-pad, they aren't the worst I have used but they also aren't perfect. The d-pad seems a bit too loose and it has a tendency to stick a little, it's not awful but it's far from great. The analog sticks are also horribly mediocre, they get the job done but they also just don't feel great compared to a DS4 or XBox controller.

The DS4 is a great controller for the most part but my one major complaint about it is the "split" design of d-pad. For a lot of people this is not a problem but I really hate it though it is better than the PS3 and earlier PS controllers. Everything else about the controller is fantastic though, analog sticks are awesome, the shape of the controller just feels great in the hands and the buttons are all perfect.

I have never used a Steam controller so I cannot comment on it though I have read mixed feeling on it since it doesn't have a real d-pad on it and only 1 real analog stick.

On my main gaming / emulation PC I have 2 controllers I use. I have a wired XBox 360 controller for anything requiring an analog stick, the d-pad on it sucks. The XBox One controller supposedly has a much better d-pad but I have never used one so I cannot comment on it. I have heard great things about it if you prefer the offset analog stick layout compared to the PS style.

The other controller I have and use for anything the doesn't require and analog stick and plays better with a d-pad is the Hori Fight Commander. This is by far the best non analog stick controller you can get, the d-pad is 100% perfect, has 6 face buttons and 4 shoulder buttons so it has the perfect layout to mimic any retro controller. It does have a wire though but it's approx 10 foot so it can reach a long ways.

If you have to have wireless and you want to narrow it down to just a single controller I would look into the XBox One controller since it supposedly has a good d-pad and the analog sticks are great. But if you don't mind the DS4 split d-pad design and prefer the analog stick positioning better then that is a great option as well.

• Like 1