LaunchBox Community Forums

Playing .mp4 file upon game selection instead of .bin

iam7foot1

Hello everyone,

Noob here. First post. I've just finished setting up Launchbox and donating. So far loving how much easier this is than HyperSpin. 

I'm setting my rom paths for the first time with Atari 2600 roms, Stella in Retroarch. I point to roms, download media, and finish. Then when choosing a game to play, it plays the .mp4 movie instead. I'm having to change the .mp4 to .bin every time. Anyone know how I can avoid this in the future or have the emulator only choose to play .bin files? I swear I've searched everywhere!

Thank you so much in advance for any advice!

Really appreciate the quick reply Lordmonkus! Happy to buy you a beer for your help. 

That's actually the video that I used to set things up. I followed the instructions to a tee and double-checked everything. Still when I select a game, it just plays the .mp4. Any idea on how to only point to .bin? 

If you are getting MP4 files playing something went horribly wrong somewhere, maybe you imported the MP4 files and not the .BIN rom files.

You can also check out this quick RA and LB tutorial I did, it's using the NES as an example but all the steps are the same and the same pitfalls to watch out for when importing and getting stuff working.

Thanks again for your help. That still didn't fix me from having to manually enter. Instead, I figured out a workaround. I deleted and started over, only this time when I imported roms I didn't "select folder". Instead I "selected file" then highlighted only my .bin files and selected them since my folder had media in there as well. 

Yeah if you have multiple file types in a folder don't grab everything for import. You can filter out just the rom files by extension by typing *.bin or *.a26 (or whatever file extension you need) and grabbing all of the files that show up.

Deleting and re importing shouldn't take too long because the media is already there, that doesn't get deleted when you remove games from LB.

Glad you got it all sorted now and for your future imports you know to watch out for grabbing incorrect files.

1 minute ago, iam7foot1 said:

How can I buy you a beer? What's your PayPal?

lol, it's all good

If i can help someone to set up their emulators and games without having to resort to paying these scam artists out there gouging people for pre loaded hard drives filled with stuff they don't own or have the right to sell then that's all I care about.