LaunchBox Community Forums

Problem launching Sega 32X games via LaunchBox & RetroArch

Giblet

Hi all, first post, sorry it’s about a problem.  I really like LaunchBox sofar!

I followed the tutorial here to setup Genesis & 32X:

And Genesis is working perfectly but 32X won’t load.  I’m using Launchbox (8.3) and RetroArch (1.7.3.)

I used the trick in this thread (scroll down to using Microsoft ProcMon to monitor process start & create events)  to find out the command being sent to RetroArch:

image.thumb.png.a2f553d14e8dad75655d6c748ec50c01.pngWhen Genesis is launched it’s this: (SUCCESSFUL LAUNCH)

“F:\LaunchBoxEmulators\RetroArch\retroarch.exe” -L “cores\genesis_plus_gx_libretro.dll” “F:\LaunchBoxRoms\ROM GAMES\SEGA-Genesis-Popular\Cannon Fodder.bin”"

When 32X is launched it’s this: (LAUNCH FAILS)

“F:\LaunchBoxEmulators\RetroArch\retroarch.exe” “F:\LaunchBoxRoms\Golden Age of Video Games\Sega 32X\After Burner Complete.bin”"

Notice that the -L "cores\picodrive_libretro.dll" is missing.  I’ve tried to add it back using the custom command line arguments in the RetroArch emulator settings, but it won’t take it.  pico is associated to the 32X platform, and so are the roms, all that checks out, and I haven't fiddled with any of the naming.

I also manually deleted the cores, updated RetroArch and re-downloaded the cores, same problem.  Also rebooted a few times.  I’m having trouble getting the two hooked up.

Otherwise everything is going great!  I really like LaunchBox and I can tell the developers have really gone out of their way to make a very nice GUI for the user.  It’s the best looking / operating front end I’ve seen and I’ve tried a bunch.

p.s. forgot to mention, I scanned the rom folders manually in RetroArch to make sure they load, and both the Genesis & 32X Roms will load and play if I launch them manually without using LaunchBox

Edited by Giblet
added info about running manually from RetroArch && modified title to remove CD

Ok I see a couple of things.

Are you actually trying to load 32X CD games ? Your title says it but I see nothing else about it.

You don't have a 32X CD platform and 32X CD games are their own platform. They will not work with the Genesis GX core.

32X games work perfectly fine for me using the picodrive core.

269199983_2018-07-1220_55_40-EditEmulator.thumb.png.131d860bdbc2a785d27a73f59fb86346.png

Ok thanks for that.  Here is one of the games i'm trying to load:

image.thumb.png.fb97e6388512418b553523440415ac30.pngYou mentioned I don't have a 32X CD platform - how do I go about adding that?

And I agree picodrive core is working, when I manually scan and run this file in RA it launches successfully.  I just can't get LaunchBox to launch it for me.

Edited by Giblet
minor edit

You can add the Sega 32X CD platform by going to the bottom of the Associated Platforms, just click in there and type it in.511261498_2018-07-1221_41_39-EditEmulator.thumb.png.d88b9636088ceed7439362675ba113a9.png

I see your problem.

Your 32X games are imported under Sega CD 32X when they are Sega 32X. Change the platform name to Sega 32X and they will work since that is what you have in your Associated Platforms already. And then when you get 32X CD games you can import them to the Sega 32X CD platform and add that platform to the Associated Platforms for Retroarch.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Noob question here guys I’m having the same issue that Giblet was having, except I have launchbox ver.9.3 and Sega 32x has been set to genesis plus core in RA on the associated platforms in launchbox and even if I go to add a custom core it will just give me a drop down list and will not allow me to type anything in the box to change it to picodrive. Any ideas anyone?

That was my problem though genesis plus is pre selected for 32x in the associated platforms for RA. However, it won’t let me manually type anything in the core box such as “picodrive_libretro.dll” so it will use this for 32x instead as soon as I click in the core box it will just give me the option of selecting a predefined core and picodrive is not one of them. I will try to post some pics when I get home to better show my issue. 

Figured out my mistake. I went to retroarch > cores and picodrive wasn’t on there hence why it was not a selectable option in the drop down list. So went and redownloaded the core from RA and that fixed the issue. Thanks for the help guys I feel like an idiot. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

hi, i cant even select sega 32x in the associated platforms list. its missing. what am i doing wrong?

i add pico to retroarch and it installs the core. but i cant launch games from retro arch for 32x either. 

then when i import games for 32x into launchbox, it displays the default rubix cube pic. it wont grab metadata. i followed that video, but somethings going wrong somewhere. oh and im definitely sure im choosing 32x and not cd 32x. i make sure i select the right core and system. 

Also, my final edit, every other system works fine and grabs metadata. its only sega 32x

Edited by Lunatical