LaunchBox Community Forums

First arcade project, control problems

Daniele

Good morning!!!!

Thanks in adavance for all the tips and solution!

Ok, so I was building this arcade cabinet from an Ikea forniture and an old notebook.

Forniture, DONE
Software, DONE
Games, DONE
Controllers, DONE - joystic + 6 buttons (for the 2 players) and additional 4 buttons

How can I find the correct map for the keyboard buttons? I'm interested into the Arcade Games in particular.
(I think the emulator is rocketlauncher)

And after I find which button is for fire and which one is for add coins, how can I assign them correctly to the arcade controllers?

I tried to search online and into the forum but maybe because I'm a super noob I can't find anything

Thanks again

which one is the emulator for the arcade games? mame?

do you have an hint to how to find an easy guide to setup mame controls?

I think that this should be a standard step to build an arcade cabinet based on LaunchBox but it's really strange how difficult is find something step-by-step

RocketLauncher is a "backend" for frontends mainly associated with HyperSpin. It basically serves the same function as Launchbox's manage emulators tool along with several other much more advanced features.

RocketLauncher is not something that is necessary at all for Launchbox to function and it is highly recommended to not be used by newcomers to emulation. RocketLauncher adds an extra layer of complexity to the setup that becomes very problematic to troubleshoot, especially if you have not set it up yourself. By the sounds of your posts I am guessing that either were given or you bought a hard drive with this all setup.

2 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

RocketLauncher is a "backend" for frontends mainly associated with HyperSpin. It basically serves the same function as Launchbox's manage emulators tool along with several other much more advanced features.

RocketLauncher is not something that is necessary at all for Launchbox to function and it is highly recommended to not be used by newcomers to emulation. RocketLauncher adds an extra layer of complexity to the setup that becomes very problematic to troubleshoot, especially if you have not set it up yourself. By the sounds of your posts I am guessing that either were given or you bought a hard drive with this all setup.

yes, it was a setup given to me by a friend. via pc is all ok but i can't find a way to use it "inside" the arcade cabinet

4 hours ago, Daniele said:

which one is the emulator for the arcade games? mame?

do you have an hint to how to find an easy guide to setup mame controls?

I think that this should be a standard step to build an arcade cabinet based on LaunchBox but it's really strange how difficult is find something step-by-step

The controls for MAME are set within MAME itself. Just load up a game in MAME, then hit tab on your keyboard and go to input general, just use the arrow keys and enter to select the button you want to assign and then press the button you want to use for it on your controller/arcade stick. If you need a game to have different controls than the general, then you go to input this machine and set the buttons and that configuration will only work for that game.