LaunchBox Community Forums

Need Help Using Magic-Engine 1.13 With Launchbox

sipes760

I know their are other emulators out for the TG-16, but magic-engine is my favorite one to use.  My issue is this, whenever i double-click a TG-16 game in Launchbox Magic-engine opens but the game doesn't load. Is their some command lines I need to use for Magic-Engine that I don't know about in order the get the games to load when using Launchbox, or is Launchbox and Magic-Engine just not compatible with one another? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Are you able to launch your roms via Magic Engine directly?  That's typically the first step in troubleshooting.  If you're able to launch the roms via the emulator directly, then there likely is a way to get LB/BB to launch Magic Engine and then load the rom somehow.  But, we need to make sure the emulator is working correctly and able to launch the roms you have directly before proceeding to try and troubleshoot further.

Also, as you mentioned, there are other emulator for PC-Engine games that are much easier to setup and get working in LB/BB, for example RetroArch is my emulator of choice for TG-16/TG-16CD/SuperGrafx, etc.  The cores are quite good/mature for those engines.

I'm sorry I forgot to mention that I am able to load them directly. The roms and emulator work great when not using Launchbox. Those other emulators are great, but the reason I like Magic-Engine is because it's the only TG-16/TG-16CD/SuperGrafx, etc emulator with a cheat function.

Edited by sipes760

According to the thread on this site relating to command lines needed to get certain emulators working properly

There doesn't seem to be a need for a command line to get the Magic Engine emulator to work in LB/BB.  Have you tried the different options in the emulator config in LB such as don't use quotes, no space before rom, etc.?  Not sure if those will help, but it might be one of those options needed to get LB/BB to launch the emulator and to tell Magic Box to load the rom in question.

I am having one other problem with the emulator though. When I launch it through Launchbox Magic-engine closes whenever I right click or hit escape to bring up the menu. I would change the hotkey for the menu in Magic-Engine but it doesn't have any options for changing the hotkeys.

You might be able to create a custom autohotkey (AHK) script that will bind another key to close the emulator that's launched via LB/BB.  The only thing I'm not sure on is if you bind another key (for example alt-F4) to close the emulator, what will ESC do, as that might be hard-wired in LB/BB and might also still try to close the app.  Perhaps a question would be better to be asked in the thread below to see if anyone could answer the question, and perhaps write a custom script for you to try:

Edit: Actually, you might just want to check the autohotkey tab in your manage emulator section in LB/BB to see if there's an entry in there.  Likely similar to this:

$Esc::
{
    Process, Close, {{{StartupEXE}}}
}

If there is perhaps just removing that entry completely will just disable ESC from trying to close the emulator.  Not at home right now so I can't test to see if that will disable it or not.  If not, then the suggestion above to remap they key using a autohotkey might work as I mentioned.

Edited by CDBlue

Thank you for all your help. I found out what the problem was. I read the Magic-Engine INI file and for some strange reason one of the options for the escape key was to shut the emulator down when being ran through a shell or front-end. I changed it to the INIs second option fir the Escape key which makes escape always bring up the menu and it works great now.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/2/2018 at 3:08 PM, sipes760 said:

I'm sorry I forgot to mention that I am able to load them directly. The roms and emulator work great when not using Launchbox. Those other emulators are great, but the reason I like Magic-Engine is because it's the only TG-16/TG-16CD/SuperGrafx, etc emulator with a cheat function.

It looks like the RetroArch core will support cheats from version 1.7.4 onwards.

https://www.libretro.com/index.php/upcoming-retroarch-1-7-4-cheat-code-searchingcreation-interface-with-rumble-features/