LaunchBox Community Forums

Background color changed for some roms

FlightRisk

I don't think this is something I did, but I had a semi-transparent black/gray background  border in which every game sits. 3 out of 3000 of them (all in a group) changed to a dark forest green. And when you click on them, the side details panel changes to the same color. Is this a bug? What could cause just a few games to change backgrounds?

22 hours ago, FlightRisk said:

I don't think this is something I did, but I had a semi-transparent black/gray background  border in which every game sits. 3 out of 3000 of them (all in a group) changed to a dark forest green. And when you click on them, the side details panel changes to the same color. Is this a bug? What could cause just a few games to change backgrounds?

I'm guessing this is because you have "Colorize Backgrounds to Match Images" enabled in the .Next options, under Boxes.

Ok, that was it. So even though all the boxes look identical, there must be something in some of the images that you key on. What is that? How do you determine what color to match? Since it was only games with no image and 3 other games out of 3000 that I could tell, I am going to check them in Photoshop

11 hours ago, FlightRisk said:

Ok, that was it. So even though all the boxes look identical, there must be something in some of the images that you key on. What is that? How do you determine what color to match? Since it was only games with no image and 3 other games out of 3000 that I could tell, I am going to check them in Photoshop

It's a complicated algorithm. Every image should be providing a color when that setting is on, though some colors are less obvious than others.

Then I would like to report a bug ? I went through 2 platforms, my Mame/Arcade folder (2800 games) and my Handhelds. All the backgrounds are the same, black. With transparency, they are a dark gray as you can see from the picture. The only backgrounds that are different out of thousands of games are ones without a 3D Box image that shows your Rubic's Cube logo (it makes those backgrounds purple) and these 3 in the upper right corner that are a dark forest green. So to be clear, of all the thousands of games on my system with image art, only 3 have a different color than the rest. I checked "colorize scrollbar",  "colorize game selections", "...popup", ... fade" and nothing at all changed. Everything looks exactly the same.  Any thoughts?

lb_colors.PNG

lb_colors2.PNG

lb_colors3.PNG

@FlightRisk Most likely that's happening because of the uniformity of the boxes, but I do know that that algorithm can use some tweaking. The goal is to get the most prominent color out of the artwork and fade it out to use as the background, but that's often very difficult to do. It can just be turned off for now if it's not working well for you.

• 4 months later...

I have the same issue, but only Frogger, Gauntlet and Tetris are affected. Have all colourisations off, only Random Theme Colour on startup. I remember seeing something about colours for roms somewhere but cannot find it again.

EDIT: I did a refresh of all images, and more started to change colour. Going by what Jason says about the algorithm, it's like some colours are more prominent, but others are not, even though the clear game logo art shows a lot of colour, you don't see it in the background as much.

Weird, when you look at the Star Wars, lots of Red and Yellow, but dark background, but compared to both Tetris's backgrounds are more of the colour in the clear logo.

Untitled.jpg

Edited by Causbrite
Extra info added