LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox backup advice

Napalm2016

Hi all

Just curious how people are backing up their collection or any advice as what to use incase everything gets lost forever ? also would it be beneficial to store my media on an ssd drive Im currently using an external hard drive but can be slow loading at times

thanks in advance

When I started with launchbox I run it at a slower and unstable system, it crashed a lot (not because of launchbox btw) which caused my data folder to become corrupt at times it seems quite sensitive for crashes. What I did was make a folder inside launchbox folder and called "_Backup" in which I store a copy of the contents, it's not very large as its xml files mostly. I know launchbkx makes auto backups but this one time I wasnt able to restore corrupted xml files with these so I do it manually now which saved my ass a few times on that system. The media folders could be backupped on another disc like images and videos if you customized them a lot if not then you could only backup the data folder and if a crash may appear you could download all media from the scraper again. Basically you could backup your entire collection ofcourse lol but just a few tips in how I do it. SSD seems to be the best and fastest way but a bit more expensive, do keep in mind the slower loading times could occur because of a lower end system, slow gpu but also which theme you use, always check if the default theme is causing slownes as that one should be the fastest. Turning off all background images within launchbox  image priorities settings helps speed up as does setting all transitions to none within bigbox settings.

4 minutes ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

When I started with launchbox I run it at a slower and unstable system, it crashed a lot (not because of launchbox btw) which caused my data folder to become corrupt at times it seems quite sensitive for crashes. What I did was make a folder inside launchbox folder and called "_Backup" in which I store a copy of the contents, it's not very large as its xml files mostly. I know launchbkx makes auto backups but this one time I wasnt able to restore corrupted xml files with these so I do it manually now which saved my ass a few times on that system. The media folders could be backupped on another disc like images and videos if you customized them a lot if not then you could only backup the data folder and if a crash may appear you could download all media from the scraper again. Basically you could backup your entire collection ofcourse lol but just a few tips in how I do it. SSD seems to be the best and fastest way but a bit more expensive, do keep in mind the slower loading times could occur because of a lower end system, slow gpu but also which theme you use, always check if the default theme is causing slownes as that one should be the fastest. Turning off all background images within launchbox  image priorities settings helps speed up as does setting all transitions to none within bigbox settings.

Thanks for the advice I am actually running on a laptop which is quite a beefy laptop though with an i7 processor and 16gb ram maybe the gpu is at fault but will be going on my desktop at some point when my man cave is finished ? which is more powerful than obviously the laptop, currently have 40 systems installed on launchbox with about 11000 games will tinker around with it, the performance is not too bad tbh and has got a lot better with the recent releases, Sounds like a good plan to backup all the xml files just to be sure ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Napalm2016 said:

Thanks for the advice I am actually running on a laptop which is quite a beefy laptop though with an i7 processor and 16gb ram maybe the gpu is at fault but will be going on my desktop at some point when my man cave is finished ? which is more powerful than obviously the laptop, currently have 40 systems installed on launchbox with about 11000 games will tinker around with it, the performance is not too bad tbh and has got a lot better with the recent releases, Sounds like a good plan to backup all the xml files just to be sure ?

Someone mentioned the gpu is quite important for smooth navigation in BigBox as well, so it could be that part which is slower maybe? For me my mame list (6500 games atm) is slower than lists with under or around hundred games and my system is sufficient enough, just gotta clean out the mame folder and its immense size of media files in a slow pace, i've downloaded all media in triple amount: from launchbox, emumovies and seperate media packs all thrown in lol so its no wonder it's seeking and sorting quite some data lol good luck with the mancave <- its the best thing ever ??

• Thanks 1