LaunchBox Community Forums

Prolonged CPU spike on returning to platform browse after opening another window in Launchbox

Retrofrogg

Odd problem I've just noticed today. Using the latest beta.

After the image caching is done for a platform, things seem to be OK - I can scroll through the games and CPU activity (i7-6700) remains between 10 and 60%, depending on scrolling speed. I'm wondering if this is also too high as there is a slight delay before some thumbnails appear, but this is not the main problem I am describing here.

If I edit a game, and then return to browsing, I get a prolonged CPU spike at around 80-90%, as if it is caching all the images again. When I browse at this point, game thumbnails are slow to load. There is no green progress bar appearing again however. Once the CPU goes back to normal, I can browse OK again. This is most noticeable for platforms with large numbers of games - e.g. Arcade/MAME with 3658. After editing a game the CPU stays up at around 85% for a few minutes - maybe roughly the amount of time it took to cache the images in the first place.

Also happens if I open another Launchbox window, like the options Window - on returning to platform browing, the above problem recurs!

Any help appreciated!

Edited by Dan

I just tested it myself editing a single game. I think what you're seeing happening in the background is just simply the data saving procedures. Any time data is saved, the process happens in the background and it's very good these days at maxing out the CPU, as it should be. On my system it takes around 5 seconds for the CPU activity to calm down, which is normal.

Hi @Jason Carr - thanks so much for your reply. Thankfully, the problem has disappeared with the latest beta! So I'm left wondering what was going on, but happy that using Launchbox is again smooth. Will keep an eye on things to make sure it doesn't recur. My collection isn't huge at the moment by the standards here - 17,682 games. And my hardware specs are OK I think - i7-6700, 16gig RAM, SSD for all the Launchbox stuff.

Actually @Jason Carr I spoke too soon - it seems to be still doing it! Just edited a MAME game to add a 3D box, and on clicking OK and returning to the (already cached) platform, my CPU load for Launchbox goes up to 85% with the fan becoming audible. It remains up there for around 2 minutes before the CPU load for Launchbox drops down to around 1% (with Launchbox still idle). Task manager shows the GPU at about 4% total. Memory is at 25%.

Also, just not it is re-caching (the green progress bar is showing) my MAME/Arcade platform; I'm not sure why, as it has been cached already.

As mentioned above, I would be surprised if it was due to my hardware or collection size - as this problem wasn't happening until recently. All I had done recently was remove all my MAME roms and then run the new MAME importer on a new (0.200) MAME set. I don't believe that I had made any other particular changes - other than keeping pace with the latest betas of course!

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this problem makes the browsing & editing experience somewhat poor. I've not really any ideas myself what is happening. I do notice that when scrolling through the MAME games after the cache, some take 1-3 seconds to appear (some of the thumbnails I mean). I wonder if this suggests that things have not been cached properly?

Edited by Dan

Hi Dan, I tested with your data. I'm not seeing long CPU spikes on my end, but it could be because I don't have your media, or it could be because of something like an anti-virus app interfering. Do you have any kind of anti-virus or anti-malware programs installed? For some reason I didn't think of that before.

HI Jason - I have Windows defender that came with Windows 10, though looking at it just now, I don't think that I have any "virus and threat protection" enabled. The other options under that menu say "no action needed". I don't have any other antivirus, antispam or antimalware apps running I don't think.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in my reply. The problem is still happening unfortunately. Main problem is with MAME - likely due to the larger number of games.

Computer specs:

Machine: Macbook Pro 2016 model 17"

CPU: Intel i7-6700HQ; includes Intel HD Graphics 530

GPU: Intel Radeon Pro 450

RAM: 16GB

Monitor: external LG 27UK600 4K monitor

Collection size: 25,968 games - but I think this includes duplication as the total count seems to include both platforms and playlists

Thanks again @Jason Carr!

Edited by Dan

1 hour ago, Dan said:

Sorry for the delay in my reply. The problem is still happening unfortunately. Main problem is with MAME - likely due to the larger number of games.

Computer specs:

Machine: Macbook Pro 2016 model 17"

CPU: Intel i7-6700HQ; includes Intel HD Graphics 530

GPU: Intel Radeon Pro 450

RAM: 16GB

Monitor: external LG 27UK600 4K monitor

Collection size: 25,968 games - but I think this includes duplication as the total count seems to include both platforms and playlists

Thanks again @Jason Carr!

Okay, I did a test with my Arcade platform myself, and I can confirm that the CPU usage does go up for around 10 seconds or so while it saves the Arcade.xml file and does some other cleanup stuff. It does seem to be longer with bigger platforms. As far as why it would be taking multiple minutes though, I still don't have any good ideas on that. So I'm at a loss currently, as your hardware doesn't seem like it should be performing that poorly.

Many thanks for your replies @Jason Carr. If you haven’t come across this problem elsewhere then it is likely something specific to my machine. The funny thing is that I’m fairly sure that the problem didn’t exist up until around a month ago, and I have been using Launchbox (including with MAME) for around 2 years now. 

Interesting thought regarding the under-performing. The CPU does seem to be almost maxing out though - with LB using around 85% on average at these times. Is it possible that it is an image caching problem? I have wondered about this as my LB seems to re-cache images fairly often. Does caching use CPU or GPU?

Also, if I "narrow" the windows contents in MAME by doing a search for a game and then editing, the problem doesn't occur.

Edited by Dan