LaunchBox Community Forums

Windows Insider Causes Add Rom File Crashing

Aurion

Every time I try to add a single rom file to launchbox I get this specific crash. I have installed windows for the second time now, and this time it was on a brand new SSD. I also made a new install of Launchbox just in case. So for the last month no one has found an answer to my problem. So I am making a new thread with updated information. The dev team made it clear that this is not a launchbox bug, so he told me to go here.

Update: Me, and a friend of mine discovered why this is happening. Windows must have changed how Visual Styles work. We are both Windows Insiders. Windows Build 17713.rs5_release.18076-1551

Visual Styles-related operation resulted in an error because visual styles are currently disabled in the client area.

App:     LaunchBox
Version: 8.4
Type:    System.InvalidOperationException
Site:    Boolean IsCombinationDefined(System.String, Int32)
Source:  System.Windows.Forms

at System.Windows.Forms.VisualStyles.VisualStyleRenderer.IsCombinationDefined(String className, Int32 part)
   at System.Windows.Forms.VisualStyles.VisualStyleRenderer.SetParameters(String className, Int32 part, Int32 state)
   at AeroWizard.ThemedTableLayoutPanel.Form_LostFocus(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnDeactivate(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.set_Active(Boolean value)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmActivate(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Recent Log:

1:03:46 AM Music.Pause Start
   1:03:46 AM Music.Prepare Start
   1:03:46 AM Music.Kill Start
   1:03:46 AM Music.Kill Finished
   1:03:46 AM Music.NotifyTrackList Start
   1:03:46 AM Music.NotifyTrackList Invoke MainForm
   1:05:26 AM Exception

Edited by Aurion

11 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

Strange I'm on Insider Build 17746 fast ring and have not encountered any errors while adding games. I've been getting builds pretty frequently and haven't had this issue on any of them.

Did you try Add Files? Under Tools>Import>Rom Files

It will not crash when adding a Folder.

14 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

Strange I'm on Insider Build 17746 fast ring and have not encountered any errors while adding games. I've been getting builds pretty frequently and haven't had this issue on any of them.

Just now, Aurion said:

Did you try Add Files? Under Tools>Import>Rom Files

It will not crash when adding a Folder.

Im also on the same build as @DOS76 17746rs5 and i havent seen any issues either. I just went to tools/import and added a folder and it worked just fine for me. So it sounds like you have another issue with your system.

2 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Im also on the same build as @DOS76 17746rs5 and i havent seen any issues either. I just went to tools/import and added a folder and it worked just fine for me. So it sounds like you have another issue with your system.

This is weird because the friend I mentioned had the same problem as me, and he is on a different insider build than me.

Actually using that method it does error out. I always add files with the drag and drop method and it doesn't have that issue so I never would have noticed. Hopefully Jason can have a look at it but if its only effecting insider builds and he may not be testing any of them out it may not get fixed right away.

Yeah I'm sure he will have to do something as sooner or later this is going to leave Insider status and become official and I think he would want to be in front of it. For now I would suggest navigating to the games folder in Windows Explorer and selecting the files you want there and dragging them over onto LB this will initiate the import wizard.