LaunchBox Community Forums

How to edit core files on associated platform management (Retroarch)

Doomsiren

Hi everyone.

I started integrating Retroarch and it's cores into Launchbox. So far I have downloaded the cores I wanted from RA and added RA as an emulator in LB. Now Launchbox tells me I have several missing cores. From what I can tell LB expects me to use a specific core for it to run it. For example I downloaded the Mesen core for NES but LB expects me to use Nestopia_libretro, which are obviously not the same cores. I haven't found a way yet to make the LB recognize the Mesen core instead of the Nestopia one. Looks to me this should be a simple change. Is it possible to change the associated platform core or do I have to use the one that LB provides.

Thanks in advance

I have another question.

I've been looking for information about what works best for controllers. Some people complain about the USB versions being less responsive, having input lag etc and people swear by USB adapters/original controllers instead. Is this the general consensus here as well?

Just now, Doomsiren said:

I have another question.

I've been looking for information about what works best for controllers. Some people complain about the USB versions being less responsive, having input lag etc and people swear by USB adapters/original controllers instead. Is this the general consensus here as well?

I dont use any original controllers. I have used xbox360, xbox one, 8bitdo and DS4 with Retroarch and they have all worked fine. Oh and i used all of them wirelessly.

24 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

I dont use any original controllers. I have used xbox360, xbox one, 8bitdo and DS4 with Retroarch and they have all worked fine. Oh and i used all of them wirelessly.

And you haven't encountered any issues regarding input lag or unresponsiveness?

It is more of a nostalgia thing for me. There are certain controllers I would really like the feel of again (N64, SNES and Sega controllers)

But it has to be fully functional as well. I don't want to trade that in for aesthetics/nostalgia.  

18 minutes ago, Doomsiren said:

And you haven't encountered any issues regarding input lag or unresponsiveness?

It is more of a nostalgia thing for me. There are certain controllers I would really like the feel of again (N64, SNES and Sega controllers)

But it has to be fully functional as well. I don't want to trade that in for aesthetics/nostalgia.  

Ive not personally noticed any lag issues, and certainly no unresponsiveness, i use a xbox one controller via the official wireless dongle and the below 8bitdo controller via bluetooth, i find this controller very good for retro games.

71bkN1q691L._SL1500_.jpg

5 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Ive not personally noticed any lag issues, and certainly no unresponsiveness, i use a xbox one controller via the official wireless dongle and the below 8bitdo controller via bluetooth, i find this controller very good for retro games.

71bkN1q691L._SL1500_.jpg

Awesome! Why haven't I come across anyone mentioning these beauties. They look incredibly slick.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll be looking into this one for sure. Now I just need to find something similar for the N64 and Sega controllers.

4 minutes ago, Doomsiren said:

Awesome! Why haven't I come across anyone mentioning these beauties. They look incredibly slick.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll be looking into this one for sure. Now I just need to find something similar for the N64 and Sega controllers.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/8Bitdo-Retro-Bit-64-Bluetooth-Gamepad/dp/B01M1KP9GT/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1535995475&sr=8-1&keywords=8bitdo+n64

https://shop.8bitdo.com/products/mod-kit-for-md-controller