LaunchBox Community Forums

Unable to import Space Invaders (MAME)

kernunrex

Using the current version of LaunchBox, I imported my MAME set with the default settings. It worked fine for the most part, but I noticed the original Space Invaders did not import. If I try to import it by itself, LaunchBox seems to refuse to add it. I've unchecked all of the "Skip" checkboxes when importing a MAME ROM and selected "Import All Clones." Still, that doesn't make it happy.  I've verified the ZIP file is fine and I can play it A-OK in MAME by itself.

Any ideas why Space Invaders (MAME directory name: invaders) won't import?

If you unchecked all the boxes including "hacked" then more than likely Space Invaders is lumped in under "Cosmic Monsters".  Scroll down and find that game name and right click (or edit and look at the Additional Apps listing) and should see the rest of the "clones" where you will see Space Invaders. I did the same thing . To fix, simply rerun the importer and do not "uncheck" all of the option boxes related to hacks/clones. I saw some reference in an earlier beta thread that Jason was likely to alter that import behavior with hacks being listed as "primary" but isn't the case yet. 

Also you will notice this grouping and what is picked as the "primary" one listed as far as the cover art is concerned when you pick North America or World for the region.   You will see Pac-Man come in as Puck-Man if picking World Region.  Since all the clones are always imported, you can still play Pac-Man but you have right click and select from the clones. 

• Like 2

Ah!  There it is, buried inside of Cosmic Monsters.  I would have never looked in there.  I imagine LaunchBox was smart enough to know Space Invaders was already imported and refused to import it again when I tried.  I wonder why it's hidden in that clone, though? Shouldn't Space Invaders -- the original -- be the parent? When I imported my MAME ROMs, I definitely had the "Skip Hacks" and "Skip Clones" boxes checked.

36 minutes ago, kernunrex said:

Ah!  There it is, buried inside of Cosmic Monsters.  I would have never looked in there.  I imagine LaunchBox was smart enough to know Space Invaders was already imported and refused to import it again when I tried.  I wonder why it's hidden in that clone, though? Shouldn't Space Invaders -- the original -- be the parent? When I imported my MAME ROMs, I definitely had the "Skip Hacks" and "Skip Clones" boxes checked.

If you right click the game and go to edit, then the additional apps tab you can click on another version and then click the make default button, that will make it so that is the version loaded when you choose that game. Also you can edit the name there if you want also and change it to Space Invaders.

image.thumb.png.9e84b2ad1c1c3e71f0273a01d3efd36a.png

• Thanks 1