LaunchBox Community Forums

Configure Xbox 369 Controller

Columbo

I tried to figure out how to get my Xbox 360 controller to work in Launchbox but could not figure it out.  I then decided to install Launchbox No Intro Fully Loaded by ColPipes which I believe is supposed to be already setup for the Xbox 360 controller but it is still not working.  Any suggestions?  Also, I copied my Launchbox Premium file into the Launchbox directory but BigBox doesn’t work.  I just get advertisements about BigBox.  Any thought on this also?

Thanks

I went to the help> registration and browsed to the license file and clicked <open> and it said license applied,  registered to "my name" but BigBox still does not run.  In the upper right corner of the screen next to the minimize icon it says "Registered to and my Name" so it seems like it is registered ok but not working. Laucnhbox updated itself to version version 8.9 when I last ran it.  I don't know if that also updates BigBox.  Don't know how to check the version of BigBox.

As for the controller I will try to upload an image but I'll have to do that in a little while because I have some errands to do right now.  Thanks for your help.  Very much appreciated.

Edited by Columbo

Previously I had installed Launchbox 8.1 with Retroarch and BigBox worked fine except for the fact that I couldn't figure out the 360 controller.  The controller allowed me to scroll through the menu but would not do anything as far as starting a game or anything.  I started a game using my keyboard and the controller did nothing while the game was running.  My keyboard did work though.  That is why I removed Launchbox and installed the Launchbox fully loaded by ColPipes because it said that the 360 controller was per configured.  In that version I have to select a game with the keyboard but once in the game the controller seems to work, except for exiting a game and going back to the main menu.  But that is all within Launchbox and not BigBox.  Maybe I'll just reinstall the original Launchbox and try to get the controller working in there.

11 hours ago, Columbo said:

Previously I had installed Launchbox 8.1 with Retroarch and BigBox worked fine except for the fact that I couldn't figure out the 360 controller.  The controller allowed me to scroll through the menu but would not do anything as far as starting a game or anything.  I started a game using my keyboard and the controller did nothing while the game was running.  My keyboard did work though.  That is why I removed Launchbox and installed the Launchbox fully loaded by ColPipes because it said that the 360 controller was per configured.  In that version I have to select a game with the keyboard but once in the game the controller seems to work, except for exiting a game and going back to the main menu.  But that is all within Launchbox and not BigBox.  Maybe I'll just reinstall the original Launchbox and try to get the controller working in there.

Launchbox has no effect on controls in the emulators, you need to set your controller up in each emulator seperately. Thats why it works in Bigbox but not the games, you haven't set up the controller in the emulators you are using.

Oh!  Ok, I wasn't aware of that.  I think I know how to set up a controller in Retroarch but are other emulator controller setups similar?  In Retroarch you double click on the retroarch (dot) exe and go to Settings>Input.  Would you do the same in other emulators?

Thank you for your help.

Edited by Columbo

3 minutes ago, Columbo said:

Oh!  Ok, I wasn't aware of that.  I think I know how to set up a controller in Retroarch but are other emulator controller setups similar?  In Retroarch you double click on the retroarch (dot) exe and go to Settings>Input.  Would you do the same in other emulators?

Thank you for your help.

Yes, any other emulator you use should also have a input/controllers setting. The reason when you used colpipes set that it worked in emulators but not Bigbox is because the emulators were already setup to use a 360 controller by colpipes, but as Bigbox is paid software and not included in that pack that hasnt been setup, you just need to turn on controller support in the Bigbox options.

12 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Yes, any other emulator you use should also have a input/controllers setting. The reason when you used colpipes set that it worked in emulators but not Bigbox is because the emulators were already setup to use a 360 controller by colpipes, but as Bigbox is paid software and not included in that pack that hasnt been setup, you just need to turn on controller support in the Bigbox options.

Ok,... that makes things a bit clearer.  I am reinstalling the original Launchbox, (not the ColPipes version), and I'll try setting up the controllers in the various emulators.  Thank you so much for the help.

Ok, I reinstalled Launchbox, added some needed emulators to Retroarch, and set up the controller in Retroarch.  I then ran Launchbox and then selected BigBox, which now runs ok.  In BigBox, I went into ‘Options”, turned the controller on and selected Xbox 360 controller. Now in BigBox the D-Pad and the Left analog work fine for scrolling through the menu.   If I select a game from the menu and press the ‘A’ button on the controller it initiates another menu of which one of the options is ‘Play’.  I press the ‘A’ button again and a small window opens that says ‘Loading’ but then after a couple of seconds the window closes and I am back at the menu again. The game does not load.  Anyone shed any light on this for me?

Edited by Columbo

4 minutes ago, Columbo said:

Ok, I reinstalled Launchbox, added some needed emulators to Retroarch, and set up the controller in Retroarch.  I then ran Launchbox and then selected BigBox, which now runs ok.  In BigBox, I went into ‘Options”, turned the controller on and selected Xbox 360 controller. Now in BigBox the D-Pad and the Left analog work fine for scrolling through the menu.   If I select a game from the menu and press the ‘A’ button on the controller it initiates another menu of which one of the options is ‘Play’.  I press the ‘A’ button again and a small window opens that says ‘Loading’ but then after a couple of seconds the window closes and I am back at the menu again. The game does not load.  Anyone shed any light on this for me?

You need to tell Launchbox which retroarch cores to load when loading games. Go to tools/manage emulators, double click retroarch then go to the associated platform tab, find your platform and double click where it lists the core it using as this is a dropdown, pick the core you want to use for that platform.

Thank you for your help.  I first went into Retroarch/Core Updater and from the index I selected a number of cores such as Commodore Amiga, Gameboy Advance, Super Nintendo Entertainment System etc.   I have Retroarch set to save configuration upon exit.  I went into Launchbox/Tools/Manage Emulators/Retroarch and clicked on the Associated Platform tab as you suggested but the Commodore Amiga, Gameboy Advance, and Super Nintendo Entertainment System is not listed in the Assciated Platform list.  I went back and redownloaded them from the Core Updater but they are still not listed.  Don't know why!

Edited by Columbo

Ok, I see the SNES but my problem is that I downloaded the emulator for Atari 800, 2600, 5200 and 7800 using Retroarch Core Updater.  When I look for them in the Associated Platform all that is listed is Atari 800.  What happened to the Atari 2600, 5200 and 7800?  When I run an Atari 2600 or 5200 game it runs in 800 mode.  I also downloaded the Commodore Amiga emulator using the Core Updater but it is not listed in there either.  I know that you said that I would have to add that manually but it is in the index of the Core Updater and was supposed to have been downloaded.