LaunchBox Community Forums

How to get missing images?

Columbo

I finally got my arcade stuff working with a lot of help from other members and a big thanks to them all.  Now I have another noob question.

After importing my roms there are a number of games that do not have images, just the Launchbox logo.  Is there any way to get images for them?  I see in the Tools menu an option called Refresh All Images but I'm not sure if that is what I need to find images or not.  I don't want to be clicking on options that I'm not sure about what they do.

Sometimes it is a ROM file name issue which doesn't match in DB or slightly different so have to select correct one and then will add media on next search. First thing always check is if each ROM has a LB ID assigned for ROMs first off the bat. If it doesn't, then will not know what to download.  Easiest way is to toggle the drop down box and select "NONE" for Launchbox ID and then select all in that grouping and then go to Tools, Download Metadata and Media and follow screen prompts.  The other tool for helping on this is the Tools, Audit feature which you can then see all your media info data for that platform in tabular form to which you can click on the columns to sort.  So again, at end of that list is the LB ID field, if missing that is your first step.  Otherwise, may not have media for that particular ROM and it means searching around via Google, Hyperspin site (forum has many forms of media) or LB site here.  Once you start getting into computer platforms or pinball (Future, Visual, etc.) then LB DB can be sparse and it is a manual affair to find media at that point.  But the big console platforms you should almost always find it in LB database and then some art (not always all items, but at least logo or screen snap). 

image.thumb.png.08932053c7afa0ccbadd7b1a374905ce.png

Thank you.  That helps a lot.  I am using the 3D boxes for my images and in a couple of cases I right clicked on a game and selected Download Media and there were no 3D box images listed so I downloaded a screenshot.  It did not appear so I right clicked that game again and selected screenshot as the media group but it changed all of the games to screenshots.  Is there any way to use the 3D boxes for the game images but use the screenshots only for those games with no 3D box image?

Thanks for you help.

Edited by Columbo

2 minutes ago, Columbo said:

Thank you.  That helps a lot.  I am using the 3D boxes for my images and in a couple of cases I right clicked on a game and selected Download Media and there were no 3D box images listed so I downloaded a screenshot.  It did not appear so I right clicked that game again and selected screenshot as the media group but it changed all of the games to screenshots.  Is there any way to use the 3D boxes for the game images but use the screenshots only for those games with no 3D box image?

Thanks for you help.

Yes, go to tools/options then box 3D priorities. check the box for screenshot and move it up the list to where you would like it, for example i have 3D box first, the normal box-front, then screenshot. It will go in order so if the first image type isnt available it will move to the second image type an so on.